+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need sturdier dry fly hook

Default Need sturdier dry fly hook

Does anyone have recommendations for a stronger dry fly hook. I have been using standard dry fly hooks. When fishing in MT, I often lose large fish because the hook bends, either during the hook set or while playing the fish. I know I should be gentler but most of my fishing is for smallmouth bass so it is hard for me to switch gears from 1/0 hooks to size 16/18 dries. Should I switch to nymph hooks (2x strong wire)? Will that affect the flotation of the fly much?

I do most of my trout fishing in MT these days, and do not have any trouble with my dry fly hooks, which I tie predominately on Tiemco hooks. I presume you are talking about trout fishing in MT?

Yesterday, I caught 4 rather substantial Browns (15" to 18") and a handful of other Rainbows on dry flies tied on Tiemco 100's, and the only trouble I had with the hook bending was on a Whitefish where I bent the hook when I removed the fly with my forceps, which I promptly bent back into shape after I released the fish.

You could also try tying your dry flies on 1/0 hooks I suppose.

I don't have experience with dry fly hooks that small... but I will say that I tied a fly on a #10 dry fly hook from Allen Fly Fishing
    (http://www.allenflyfishing.com/d101-standard-dry-fly)
    ....and I hooked, fought & landed a 35.5 lb Grass Carp on it...without it straightening. I was impressed. Maybe try some, the prices are excellent.
    David Merical
    St. Louis, MO

If you want strength, it's hard to beat standard Mustad dry fly hooks.

Would not recommend a 2XH hook for dries, except in extraordinary circumstances. You have a few other choices. A standard weight hook will still be pretty easy to float, but not as easy as a 1XF. You could try using a shorter shanked hook and upsizing (e.g. TMC921). Finally, you could try lightening up. Straightened hooks happen, but they should not happen as regularly as you seem to describe, so you really have to work on your technique. A softer action rod would probably help. You did not mention what brand you were currently using, and if you are using one of the many non-mainstream brands that have cropped up these days, you might want to reconsider.

I am using mustad 94840. Maybe I should switch to tiemco??

Huh?.....can't say as I've lost a fish to a bent 94840? The 94831's I've bent though.

If you are straightening the Mustad 94840, then you are definitely horsing them too much, and there's no dry hook brand I know of that is going to save you. You need either a softer touch, a softer rod, or as you thought, a heavier hook...but I would work on the first two first, personally. Best of luck.

I have been using 94840 or (5)'s for years and I don't recall bending any on landing fish.

Steve, you don't say what brand you are using. As other posters have pointed out, Tiemco and Mustad make great hooks in their standard dry fly hook. I've caught smallies (14"+) on the Mustad R50 (1x) at #8... Are you tying your own, if so, what brand. If you are buying flies you may want to investigate what brand your fly supplier is using... Not all hooks are created equal and even some (as others have said) may not be appropriate to the application. I would hesitate to use a 2X on a small dry or pretty soon you'll be fishing a small wet...

+ Reply to Thread