+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Has anyone flown with tackle in a carry on?

Default Has anyone flown with tackle in a carry on?

I am heading down to Florida this next week and normally I pack my flies and sharp objects in my suitcase to be checked. I am flying light so just going to carry on my bag. I an concerned that they may not let me if there are hooks or other pointy things in the bag.
    Anyone done this?
    Thanks
    T-a-G

I have traveled with boxes full of small flies, reels, and rod (but not the aluminum case).

I don't know about BIG saltwater hooks though.

If you visit TSA's site, they recommend you carry on valuable and easily damaged fishing tackle.

Jim

I checked a box of flies and a reel post 9/11 with no questions asked, but then again I was flying to Montana. they probably see a lot of that.

Best bet is to consult the FAA list of items allowed to carry (http://www.tsa.gov/interweb/assetlibrar ... ms%20list') or call the airline ahead of time. you can always ask when you check in, and if there's a problem usually they'll just take the questionable objects and hold them in the cabin for you until you reach your destination.

As one of your friendly TSA screeners, I would recommend that you stop by your local airport and ask to see one of the TSA supervisors and ask about any airport specific policies. At my airport we see heavy saltwater and big bass tackle in carry on headed to Florida. For basic lures with big hooks I would say it's OK but if you are carrying any knives or pointed sissors, you need to leave them at home. Nail clippers are OK, No multi-tools or tools of any kind ie. pliers, screw drivers etc. These are all out lined on the TSA web site where they have a list of allowable and prohibited items. When you see the supervisor he/she can provide you with a list.

------------------
    Michael (Wooly) Woolum
    State Certified Hunter Education Instructor
    Hickory, MS

It is ok to bring on board reels and such but they will take flies away from you. Such as saltwater flies. I know of several people they have done this to. I did carry two 4 piece rods on board with me with out any problems. I think it is what airlines you fly on and who you run into at the gate. Seems nothing is written in stone these days. I think today I would just pack it all in my luggage and call it good. I did some tying classes were I had to fly out to them and I packed all tying equipment in my luggage and I flew right through without a problem. The only problem when packing everything in your luggage is taking the chance they will lose it?
    Like the others has said I would call and ask them ahead of time but when you get to the gate all bets are off. Those gate people do as they please. Ron

From the [url=http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1188.xml:e6573]TSA[/url:e6573] web site:

Fishing

Fishing Rods / Poles - Fishing Rods are permitted as carry-on and checked baggage. However, please check with your air carrier to confirm that it fits within their size limitations for carry-on items. Ultimately, it is the carrier's decision as to whether or not it can be transported as carry-on baggage.

Spear Guns - Spear guns are prohibited from carry-on luggage. These items should be packed in checked luggage. Any sharp objects packed in checked luggage should be sheathed or securely wrapped to prevent injury to baggage handlers and security screeners.

Tackle Equipment - Fishing equipment should be placed in your checked baggage. Some tackle equipment can be considered sharp and dangerous. Expensive reels or fragile tackle such as fly's should be packed in your carry-on baggage.

Jim

[This message has been edited by nowindknots (edited 15 March 2005).]

I have often wondered why people do not tie some tube-flies for carry-on and get hooks when arriving. Maybe not all your bugs, but an emergency stash.
    .....lee s.

The only thing that is predictable about the TSA is that they are completely unpredictable!

Yes, the TSA website currently recommends that you carry on fragile items like fishing flies HOWEVER the TSA folks at the airports didn't get the memo. They have and will refuse to allow flies on board aircraft. I have seen it many times. Can you get them on board at times, sure you can. Will you get them on every time, absolutely not. I always check my flies or UPS my gear down ahead of time so it's not an issue for me.

I did print out that page from the TSA website and put it in my carry on bag. I showed it to my local TSA people and after laughing they said "I don't care what the website said, there is absolutely NO way we will allow hooks to be carried on. While at the New Orleans and Miami airports when I saw an angler having issues, I passed along the page and again, the TSA folks said no way, no flies as carry on.

I do bring rods and reels as carry on at time and have never had an issue. I have however seen these same items refused by TSA screeners in the same airports at different times.

So, are you feeling lucky? Are you a gambling man? Personally I think you are better off checking a bag for any hooks/flies or shipping them down ahead of time via UPS.

Just some observations from an angler who flies 70,000 - 110,000 miles per year

------------------
    Jeff - AKA Dr. Fish
    If it has fins and swims than I must chase it!

I have to agree with Jeff. I check all my stuff in a suitcase. No questions asked, no hassle and it has always gotten there with me.

jed

Thanks for all the advice. I will probably just check my bag with the flies and such and carry on my rod and reels. I figure I can always buy more flies when I get there if worse comes to worse.
    T-a-G

+ Reply to Thread