+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Last minute quick help needed ....

I can't speak to the exact conditions now with the recent snow and the forecasted rain. However, I have spent a fair amount of time chasing those brightly colored chubs in the Black Hills.

In my opinion, one of the nice things about the Black Hills is that, even if the water is high and, perhaps off-color, one can usual find a place to harass some fish. Castle Creek below Deerfield and Rapid Creek below Pactola are usually very fishable. If Spearfish Creek is blown out, one can usually find some fish in Little Spearfish Creek, etc.

Dear Betty. I hope the two of you have a wonderful trip. If fishing isn't ideal just remember that it's not always about the destination ...it's the journey that counts.

Betty,

See pvt message

Thank you 8wt! Note in your mail box! Thank you all, too, for your input. The decision has been made. I knew I could count on my family/friends on FAOL.
    Betty aka/Swamp Witch
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Do they have bluegills in the black hills?
    "If we lie to the government, it's called a felony, when they lie to us, it's called politics." Bill Murray

As I understand, there are some in the lakes around Custer State Park. Only hearsay knowledge, though. Never fished for them.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

absolutely, Pactola has bunches, where I go for my annual gill fix.

Just a quick update to this post.

We did cancel our trip to the Black Hills, opting instead to spend a week in the Ozarks. What could possibly go wrong there? W-E-L-L... you could park near the river, fish in the rain, and when your return to the car find the battery deader than a door nail!! Then the hunt began to find a Ranger to jump start it for us..no cell service there! An hour later, up drives Ranger Steve, gets us started, and we're off to cancel the motel stay (and get charged for an extra night...for not canceling before 2:00, and it was...2:15!!!!). Four days early. WITHOUT shutting off the car! Straight 180 mile drive home, without shutting down the car, for fear it wouldn't start again. Arrived home about 7:00. I really am thankful that we weren't in the BHs! With the locations we fish, had that happened there, it could easily have been a 20 mile hike to get help, or a few days in the car waiting for someone to drive by....no cell service. Fortunately, all turned out well. And, yes. Fish were caught!

Glad things turned out OK, though not excellent. You'll just have to try again soon.

Betty, have you thought about getting "The Spot" satellite do-hicky?? Looks like a little fob with a few buttons. It has an "OK" button that you can press that will send a message via satellite to whomever that you are OK. There's another button that summons help. Usually have GPS coordinates included with the message. Higher-priced versions and/or competing brands can actually let you send an email/text to someone via satellite. Kayakers use them when going on long trips, especially in saltwater. Might save you a couple days waiting for someone to drive by to give you a jump....

+ Reply to Thread