+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Thread Master Lite Question/Second Coat

Default Thread Master Lite Question/Second Coat

Around 5 PM this evening I plan on putting the first coat of finish on a rod I just wrapped. The second coat, or touch-up if needed, I am not able to put it on until 5 PM Friday. Will I need to sand the finish on Friday so the second coat adheres to the first? Usually, I can finish with one coat, but you never know.
    Thanks

If I can not put the second coat on within 24-30 hours of the first coat, I just wait to put on the first coat. I think you would need to sand lightly if you wait 48 hours between coats. I have never liked this option, since I always was concerned that there would be areas that I did not get sanded very well and this would affect the bond in those areas.

You may be able to extend the period if you keep the rod fairly cold during the 48 hours???

Ted

Quote Originally Posted by tedshuck View Post
    If I can not put the second coat on within 24-30 hours of the first coat, I just wait to put on the first coat. I think you would need to sand lightly if you wait 48 hours between coats. I have never liked this option, since I always was concerned that there would be areas that I did not get sanded very well and this would affect the bond in those areas.

You may be able to extend the period if you keep the rod fairly cold during the 48 hours???

Ted
    Yeh, Ted, I'm sure that's the smartest way to finish the rod.

I have to agree with Ted here, for the sanding thing is really not an option for me either, when I can actually wait for the right time to apply a good first coat of epoxy.
    I for one, never rush a build nor especially the finish and have always stuck with the 24 hour rule of thumb.
    David Parker
    Guild Certified Professional Rod Builder

I have waited weeks and applied a 2nd coat with no adverse problems whatsoever.

+ Reply to Thread