+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Hackle comparisons

Question Hackle comparisons

How do Whiting's new "High and Dry" hackles compare to their "Hebert-Miners".
    I assume they are from different strains but with exactly the same price what are the pros and con features?
    Thanks.

Ray, I'm really a big fan of the High & Dry capes. They have some really nice colors (my main reason for using them) and, if you take a gander at our comparison chart in the post there, you'll see just length alone gives you a lot of tie-able hackle compared to most other brands in their "higher" grades. From what I understand, it's a cross from the main Whiting line and the Hebert Miner line. But quality wise, you don't lose a step. Long usable feathers with a good range of sizes possible. I have a few of them and have nothing but good experience.

Yup, can only second that. A good amount of hackles of very nice length and stiff barbs. The Hebert-Miner capes will give you more and longer hackles, and some H-M colors are not available in the H&D line, though. I have some H-M champagne duns and speckled badger capes that are just awesome... If I had to advise someone I'd recommend choosing H-M for colors that are frequently used (brown, grizzle, dun) or colors that aren't available in other lines, and H&D necks (or Pro grade) for the rest.

I'll echo the same, very nice hackle. Closer to H-M than true whiting hackle in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by okflyfisher View Post
    Thank you for this
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

I will say this much about that review. Thanks to them for doing it and alot of thought and work went in to it. That being said:

I have owned all of them, and will say that I have never seen the disparity to be at the same level as stated. There are a few hackle lines that I will not buy unseen. They have to be picked through, or you "can" find that kind of disparity. But if you do your own grading by having a selection to choose from, you can usually find hackles that are far better than what that study reflects.

Also, not all lines are best suited necessarily for dry necks. Keogh for instance has almost unbeatable saddles for warmwater and saltwater patterns. They excel in that aspect and in my opinion are far better than anything from Whiting. Dry capes though? You need to pick.

There is more to hackle than simply dry necks.

They stated at the beginning, this was just necks. They "might" do saddles next...I hope they do.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

+ Reply to Thread