+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lanyard

Default Lanyard

Just to let everyone know, I recently acted upon an article by George E. Emanuel regarding making your own fly fishing lanyard.

This was prompted by the very humid and hot weather we have recently had in SW PA. I had seen this article some time ago but never jumped on it - I have now and am very pleased.

I spent about 6 bucks at a craft store and have some items left over to make another if needed.

I would recommend anyone fishing in hot weather that does not want to wear a vest try this lanyard. It is really great!

Regards,
    paff

How does a lanyard replace a vest? Is a lanyard not a piece of rope or string?

[url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/tyingtips/part71.html:bf4f4]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/tyingtips/part71.html[/url:bf4f4]
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

That was probably one of the first articles I ever read on this site - I've gone through several of those lanyards and even have made a few for friends. Great article. Lanyards are great if you only need the essentials on the river. Personally, all I carry on one is tippet, hemostat, mini fly box, and some nippers.

If you want to keep it even more simple you don't have to braid the cord material...use the one mentioned or other sources...tangle free decoy cord works well ...various parachute nylon cords [comes in varying diameters and designs....weed eater cord...etc.
    Lanyards are a great way to go.....guess I'll sell my unused vest.

Hi Folks,

Small flybox goes in my shirt pocket.
    My hemostats clip to my collar. A zinger
    on my shirt holds my nippers. Camera and
    tippet in my shorts pocket.*G* Warm
    regards, Jim

Jim
    Do you ever drop those hemostats in the lake?

Actually, though I've gotten rid of the vest I just can't go that minimalist...my god what if I wanted something I knew I had at home?..[G]....
    Yes, I'll have it next time ...it's sick...especially since I'll probably not want it again...deliver me from this curse....[G]

Thanks, that is great for a day trip, all I have to do now is find some way of attaching lunch.
    All the best.
    Mike.

I made a lanyard out of some leather, beads and snap swivels as attachment points. I put an alligator clip on it to clip it to my shirt so it doesn't bounce when I walk.

Mike
    Cadillac, MI

[This message has been edited by mjsmith1223 (edited 05 July 2006).]

Without fail - immediately following my manufacturing of my lanyard, the weather has turned beautifully cool. 59 a night - very low humidity and mid 70s during the day!

I am going to try it anyway this weekend!

Best,
    paff

+ Reply to Thread