+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rugged, breatheable hip waders?

Default Rugged, breatheable hip waders?

I'm in the market for a new pair of hip boots. I primarily wear hip boots and have had the same pair of canvas / felt soled ones for 15 years...you can imagine what they look like now so they need replacement. I'd love a pair of nicer beathable ones, boot foot but cant seem to find any. Are the breathable types really breathable? I like to out them on at the house and drive to the pond or river (unless I'm fishing further than say 20 mins from home) so I dont think neoprene would be well...I would think they'd start getting hot until you get yourself intothe water. Anyway, if someone can recommend a nice pair of hip waders...hopefully the breathanle type that are rugged and have a boot foot that would be appreciated.

I think there is such a thing as bootfoots, but there is a pretty good selection of stocking foots, and then you can get a pair of wading boots that fits you well, which can be a stretch with bootfoots.

Blog Entries

yeah, they make very nice breathables, and they breathe fine. i drive in my wader booties and then put the boots on when i get to the small stream near my house. saves time in the parking lot, and the breatheablility means i don't roast in the car.
    fly fishing and baseball share a totally deceptive simplicity; that's why they can both be lifelong pursuits.

Can I get some brands from you guys, ones that you may recommend?

Blog Entries

MJFNH,

You asked a very good question. A breathable hip boot. Seems to be something they don't manufacture much anymore. Most of them now days are insulated. I did find some doing an on-line search. Chota and Hodgman still make a couple breathable hip boots. Cabela's and others sell a breathable waist wader style for hunting, meaning it has the boot attached thus not needing a wading boot. I like these myself, but if you want hip boots, take a look at these. Both companies have been around a long time and they make good products.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Sorry, just noticed the Chota is a stocking foot style.

http://www.amazon.com/Chota-Outdoor-Gear-Original-Breathable/dp/B007IKIKTS/ref=sr_1_16/176-7986533-1976537?ie=UTF8&qid=1428274176&sr=8-16&keywords=hodgman+breathable+waders

http://www.hodgman.com/Waders/Hodgman-Waders,default,sc.html

http://www.amazon.com/Hodgman-Waterf...athable+waders

Try The Flyshop and Dan Bailey's also Orvis and Feathercraft. I also have a very old pair of canvas/rubber bootfoot waders but I also own a pair of orvis stocking foot hip boots that I am happy wit.

Gerri are yours the fly weight kind they have on their site? How rugged are they? That's the only pair I see available anywhere. If those dont work out I may have to get another pair of canvas rubber

I don't think breathable and rugged generally go together, but Dan Bailey's are generally considered pretty tough.

I have had the hip waders for several years and they have not sprung ay leaks. I am not very hard usage-wise on my gear but they seem to be quite durable. They fold up into a small pouch for travel. I cannot remember what they were called but it seems to me that they were indeed called flyweight. I will check the orvis site and get back to you. Also, have a look at Sierra Trading Post for hip waders. Did you check Cabelas ?

I have Dan Bailey's and they work well

+ Reply to Thread