+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tapered leaders or not?

Blog Entries

I noticed that the default emoticon is the little POed guy. Just thought I'd note that as I am fairly sure that you guys were not all POed when you posted?

------------------
    RRhyne56
    [url=http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com:aa284]Sweetness On The Water[/url:aa284]
    [url=http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wild/species/bgl/:aa284]Good Ol? Lepomis Macrochirus[/url:aa284]

Cheaper??? A leader costs almost nothing in the big mix of things. Less then the cost of 2 flies!!
    The man who coined the phrase "Money can't buy happiness", never bought himself a good fly rod!

3. Default

No more tapered leaders, very expensive! I tie my own leaders with Maxima Mono. Stiff and high abrassion resistant. Gary Borger's formulla: 4-1-4

Waterfox

Leader-Calc is saved to fav's. Now, what kind of knot do y'all suggest. Blood Knot, Surgeon's Knot (my favorite) or what. Keep in mind that my tailing loops seek and destroy knots. Actually they seek and destroy leaders and they use knots to do it.

Thanks again,

------------------
    Life, is the time He gave you to determine where you want to spend eternity.
    ----------
    Lotech Joe

[This message has been edited by Lotech (edited 05 July 2006).]
    Where you go is less important than how you take the steps.
    Fish with a Friend,
    Lotech Joe

Personally, I never liked the tapered mono leaders from the get go. I quickly found furled leaders to be the way to go most of the time. I don't tye my own, but I figure that 1 $10 furled leader per year is significantly cheaper than $3 per week on a new tapered mono one.

I've also used some easy to tie mono leaders that I've made using a 50-25-25 pattern. Actually works pretty well for the foam spiders that I usually fish. No problems getting them to turn over.

Lotech,
    I used to use blood knots but pretty much stick to surgeons now especially when on the river or using significantly different diameter stuff.

Anyone worry about all this bulk stuff you are buying and lasting so long becoming 'outdated"?

Also I don't understand all this high cost stuff...beadheadleech's approach takes care of that....works for me though I initially don't cut anything off anything... just buy one the appropriate larger size than the tippet you are going to use... 7 1/2...9...or 12 ft length....

"Shelflife of bulk mono"

Two things destroy mono -- heat and light

When I was fishing bass tournaments 11 years ago, I always bought bulk spools of mono and kept it in the refrigerator. I knew it was cold and assumed the light went out !

------------------
    Warren
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Hey, Warren....one of my fishing buddies assumed that...the light stayed on...and everything rotted...opened the door to a real stench.....[G]...I'll bet the mono was ok though...[G]

Seriously, I get your point though....Thx.

Can you buy or tie furled leaders for an 8wt? Specifically, for steelhead?
    There's no sense in being dumb unless you get to show it off once in a while...

+ Reply to Thread