+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: best smallmouth fly rod

Default best smallmouth fly rod

I have been just recently fishing for smallmouth at my local river, which I haven't done in a LONG time. Yesterday, I surprised myself when I got a 17 incher on a popper. He took it above some riffles, and today I got several in the 14-15 range. All good fighters and jumpers. I am just wondering why many people say to use a medium fast or even an old fiberglass rod for them as opposed to a modern fast graphite? I am using a 6 wt 9 ft Loomis IMX, which gets me the needed distance for this kind of fishing but am looking into building a "fast" action 7 wt or even a 6 wt in the same length so I can compare them. I call it "fast" with the (" ") thingys because its not as fast as an imx but is labeled as fast.

Will a rod with a slower action than an imx enable easier role casting? I did find it hard to cast when I was near the bank.

I could see a fiberglass rod being better for steelheading where lighter tippets and nymphing could come in handy as it would bend easier.
    Ian

Check out the St. Croix rod that Bob Clouser designed for smallmouth fishing. It's 8'9" for 7wt. I've had one for three years or so, and it's worked well for me in the Delaware. It casts big, wind resistant flies well, and it's handled all the fish I've caught with no problems.
    Bob

------------------
    There is a fine line between fly fishing, and standing in the water waving a stick.

I happen to use the exact same rod in a 4 piece for my smallmouthing.Also use a Sage 690-4 RPL.Both rods work quite well and both rods roll cast fine.Roll casting is more a function of the line and not the rods action.DT's work better than WF's.I also use a GLX 7wt and you might want to consider this rod.It handles more situations better than my 6wt's.

I use an old Sage RPL 9 foot 7 weight as my primary smallie rod. Some people recommend an 8 wt but I think it would be overkill most of the time. I also have a TFO and a redington in the same weight and length. I like them both as well.

Blog Entries

Ian,
    Our river smallies here are probably smaller for the most part than yours. I use a 9ft Orvis Silver Label TL 4wt for most of my smallie fishing here. I have even used my 7'6" Cabela Three Forks 3wt on occasion, and have gone to a 6wt for bigger flies.
    Steve

------------------
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"-Will Rogers
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

My go-to bass rod is a Sage RPL 7 wt and it is a terrific rod. It turns over big bugs when you're casting them and yet you can fish it all day without feeling like you've just pitched a double header ball game at Yankee stadium. Simply a great all around bass rod that can usually be picked up for under $250.00 in excellent condition.

Jim Smith

St Croix Avid 9' for 7wt. Three fish over 4 pounds this year, plus several steelhead and small salmon.

Marty

My smallmouth/largemouth rod is an Orvis "Shooting Star" in the 8'6" length... yes bamboo, yes... 9wt. But it puts the popper exactly where you want it regarless of size and yet it is delicate enough to make a bream or red eye a joy to catch.

The slower rods actually do a lot of the casting for you so that you don't end up pooped at the end of the day.

Ralph

I use several rods for smallies depending on the conditions and what flies I plan on throwing.
    to narrow it down, 6 to 8 wts, WF line, sometimes sink tip but mostly floating, up to 9' rods.

The Smallmouths here are much smaller (15" would be the absolute max), but I like to use either my Scott V2 3wt or Cabelas Clear Creek 2wt. Very responsive and shorter in length - much easier to move around in the heavily tree lined banks next to my favorite creeks.

+ Reply to Thread