+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yarn Wing Substitution

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tigfly View Post
    Byron, it looks similar to the Harrop hair wing dun when you tie it that way. Except Harrops has a little hackle added to it. I am guessing that the Lafontaine pattern predates the Harrop pattern though.
    As I said, the Borger fly has hackle tied in X fashion and then trimmed on the bottom. The Harrop hair wing has "normal" hackling through the thorax, and then trimmed flat....even with the hook point.

LaFontaine may have had a similar pattern, but I do not recall such a pattern by him.

Ooops sorry Byron, got my Gary's mixed up, meant to say Borgers pattern predates the Harrop pattern. Maybe a difference in hackling is unique enough to call it a different pattern , like the Vince Marinaro Thorax patterns. In any case I sure do enjoy following your flytying posts, I have learned a lot from them and appreciate the precision in your tying.

Blog Entries

Not a problem. It could have been true...........

You can also use hackle fibers for the wing.

Quote Originally Posted by Byron haugh View Post
    As I said, the Borger fly has hackle tied in X fashion and then trimmed on the bottom. The Harrop hair wing has "normal" hackling through the thorax, and then trimmed flat....even with the hook point.
    What's the purpose of tying in the hackle in an X and then cutting off the bottom?

Blog Entries

Steven,
    Borger does that to give his yarn wing more stability. Somewhat like Marinaro did, I believe.
    The hackle out to the sides provides assistance in floatation and stability.

The fly just above is actually tied Harrop fashion rather than Borger's X fashion. In his patterns, the hackle is wrapped throughout the thorax. He trims the hackle flat on the bottom (even with the hook point).

Drawings in Borger's book that sorta show the intent, I believe

Last edited by Byron haugh; 03-19-2015 at 05:32 PM.

If you go to his website - http://www.garyborger.com/ - he also explains a lot about it. He's got a lot of interesting things on there about his tying and fishing. You do have to search around a little.

Joe

Byron, this is a good thread and I learned from it. Thanks!

Ed
    Last edited by Ed_D; 03-22-2015 at 12:28 AM. Reason: Changed verb tense.

Blog Entries

Thanks Ed. I always learn from these discussions. When you quit learning, you're done.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven View Post
    What's the purpose of tying in the hackle in an X and then cutting off the bottom?
    Both X-wrapping or standard hackling a collar, then notching the bottom is a very effective method to place the profile of a pattern a bit lower in the film, without giving up too much in hackle support.

Quote Originally Posted by NJTroutbum View Post
    Both X-wrapping or standard hackling a collar, then notching the bottom is a very effective method to place the profile of a pattern a bit lower in the film, without giving up too much in hackle support.
    Of course. My question really was whether using a X-wrap and cutting off the bottom provided a notable improvement to standard wrapping and cutting off the bottom.

+ Reply to Thread