+ Reply to Thread

Thread: air travel info needed

Default air travel info needed

the wife and i will be flying to montana in aug. to fish . ( christmas gift from wife ) i am wondering if anyone has taken gear on board lately ? i was going to take a gear bag with rod (in holder ),and put it at my feet + a carry on in the overhead . but after reading the new regs. ( says MAY not be allowed ) i am not enthused about putting rod and reel etc in baggage check . has anyone flown with gear recently ? thank you !! keith

I recently took a trip to Idaho and Montana. I packed my rods in a "airline" rod tube, and packed my gear in a suitcase. I had no problems. I flew on Southwest airlines, in case you were wondering. One alternative is to ship your gear if you have an address where you will start/stop your trip or outfitter you'll be staying with. I made a few calls to the airline while I was prepping for the trip and they were very helpfull. I believe, can't remember and can't find the internet addy, one place they told me to check was TSA.com, or TSA.org, or TVA.com/org or something like that. The airline would be able to direct you better. Good luck and have fun.

Jeff

------------------
    dead fish don't make reel music

I just got back from a trip. I put everything but my rod in my checked bag. I carried my rod on in a tube and put it in the overhead storage

[url=http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1188.xml:be8fa]http://www.tsa.gov/public/interapp/editorial/editorial_1188.xml[/url:be8fa]

According to this website from the TSA you can carry reels and flies on as long as the airline is ok with it. i didnt want a hassle so i put mine in my checked bag. after all my reel only cost $40 and wasnt worth the risk of missing a flight because of it.
    Joe

uhh...nevermind

thanks !! good info ! keith

Keith,
    Flew to Richmond from Boise and back on United a month ago. Put my gear in the checked bags, carried on my rod in a tube. I wasn't allowed to hold on to the rod (even in a window seat against the wall) so one way it got put into the closet in the cabin and the other way I just put it in the overhead bin. Our checked bags got inspected on the return to Boise and there were no problems with the gear (flies, reels, lines, etc.)
    Mike

Just flew 2 days ago. Rod (4 piece in tube), reel, fly tying kit (hooks, scissors, forceps) all in the overhead - no problem. No problem through security either.

Will I be able to carry an 8 foot, 2 piece rod in a tube onto the plane? Did any of you carry 2 piece rods on recently? Thanks.

+ Reply to Thread