+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need Recommendations on Montana Fly Fishing

Default Need Recommendations on Montana Fly Fishing

A friend of mine is interested in a fly fishing trip to Montana this summer with wife and two grown sons; all of which are fairly new to fly fishing. He has asked for recommendations on locations and facilities. They are not financially challenged and are interested in comfortable facilities and good fishing. I know you can look at Orvis and other places for lodges, etc., but your personal recommendations for a quality experience will be greatly appreciated.
    God Bless America

If they are going to fish the Madison River, have them check guides out of Craig Mathews Blue Ribbon Fly Shop in West Yellowstone or Kelly Galloups Slide Inn Fly Shop for Guides which is a mile up river from the Raynolds Pass Bridge. With 4 people, they would need to hire 2 guides to float fish.

A rustic place to stay is the Campfire Lodge which is located between Hebgen and Quake Lake. They have great breakfasts. Kelly also has a few cabins. Further down the river is The West Fork Cabins. All locations fill up quickly so reservations need ot be made NOW.

Or they could make reservations at Roosevelt Lodge Cabins in Yellowstone Park and get a guide our of Parks Fly Shop in Gardiner, Mt to wade fish Slough Creek, The Lamar, etc and do some sightseeing.

http://www.yellowstonenationalparklo...-lodge-cabins/

http://www.google.com/maps/place/Roo...514160303ef2b9
    Regards,

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy

Blog Entries

Before offering advice, I would need to know where, in Montana, you plan to go, and what part of the summer.
    I would second what Silver said if you plan to fish the Madison somewhere between Hebgen/Quake lakes and The Pallasaides (sp?).
    For that area, you could also stay in West a yellowstone, as it isn't that far of a drive.

Even Last Chance, Idaho with lodging there and guides will transport you to the area of the Madison Silver refers to. The Trout Hunter there has great guides.

Thanks to both of you! Their request was rather vague, so I'll need to get more information. I think they want recommendations on rivers to fish as well as possible accommodations somewhere in the State. I have already told them that guides are a must. They are not tender feet, but fairly new to our sport. I have fished the rivers over in Lowell, ID, but know very little about the neighboring State. I'll get more information from them about locations and get back to you. Thanks again for your help so far. By the way Byron, that was an excellent run down on you trip to Chile. Great pictures!!
    God Bless America

Blog Entries

Good idea!
    So many good watersheds in that state.
    My personal favorite is to headquarter somewhere near the West Yellowstone town. The Henry's Fork is only about a 40 minute drive. It is a Spring Creek/tailwater, so run-off is not really a problem in early season as is the case in other rivers. The Madison, below Quake is only about a 40 minute drive. You are at the Entrance to Yellowstone Park and all its rivers and streams.
    This location offers good fishing, somewhere close, regardless of the time of the summer season.

If you select the Yellowstone River area, I.e. Gardiner or Livingston, the fishing doesn't really start (except for the mostly private Spring Creeks) until later in July. And, you're probably an hour drive (due to traffic) to get to West Yellowstone from the North Park entrance.

Other good fishing in early summer and Fall, as well, is on the Missouri near Craig, Mt. Or The Big Hole.
    Again, though, being there does not offer the vast selection of differing waters as the West Yellostone area does.
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 03-03-2015 at 02:05 AM.

Good points all. I'll pass this along. Thank you!
    God Bless America

Summer in Yellowstone is beautiful but crowded. I would look into some other famous waters, Beaverhead,big hole, Madison, Jefferson and ruby rivers are all in a short drive from Dillonor Twin Bridges, MT. I fished with an outfit called 4 Rivers http://www.4riversmontana.com/ . We had a great time; saw and fished some great country. They have accommodations at the fly shop but I would look into renting a house. Try something like this or easily search the web for more places.
    http://www.vrbo.com/394951
    http://www.vrbo.com/146251
    Last edited by rizeye; 03-03-2015 at 06:23 AM.

Agree with rizeye on the VRBO's for accommodations; there's some nice ones out there close to good fishing (this from someone who camps at Raynolds - if you've never been there, bring you're own t.p.), some on rivers away from the crowds, of which there will be in mid-summer. As long as they're fishing from driftboats/rafts/whatever the Madison's a great place to fish, but I'd be leery of steering inexperienced waders there (don't know if they coined the phrase "greased bowling balls" there, but it definitely applies); same goes for the Big Hole, at least around Dewey and my personal nemesis, Rock Creek, near Missoula (I believe my ortho put 2 kids through college thanks to me).
    Blue Ribbon, Slide Inn are good sources of info/guiding.

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by ScottP; 04-24-2015 at 04:53 AM.
    Just a tourist passing through

SBS Index updated 2/21/18

Agree with the bowling balls - we came directly home after my husband fell in Rock Creek and had to repair 3 discs, and I can't even get close to the Big Hole without falling down. Beaverhead is better, as is Bitterroot.

As it has previously been stated, Montana is a big place...send them this link to add to the others to peruse. It is one of the better sites I have found for exploring the entire state:

http://www.bigskyfishing.com

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

+ Reply to Thread