+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Texas Hill Country, Suggestions

Default Texas Hill Country, Suggestions

In late March I am planning on spending a week in the Texas Hill Country. I would like to find a park, which offers excellent scenery, tent camping and close (within thirty minute drive or so) access to river fishing. I would prefer something away from the crowds or large cities. Yes, I want it all!

I would appreciate suggestions from other members. Species of fish is not important. Looking for a beautiful relaxing place to camp with some beautiful river fishing near by.

I have researched on the internet, but without ever having been to the area, it is difficult to judge from the descriptions.

Thank you!

6286 Birch Valley Dr, San Antonio, TX 78242

For what you are looking I would recommend Guadalupe River SP. It's located about 45 minutes north of San Antonio, the river has a good flow most of the year and in March should be almost empty. Here is the park link: http://tpwd.texas.gov/state-parks/guadalupe-river

Best part is you do not need a fishing license as long as you are within park boundaries.

Lost Maples SP is on the Frio River as well as Garner SP, haven't been to those in years so can't say what they are like now.

Enjoy your visit.

I appreciate the suggestion and link, you are correct it looks like a good choice. I would have been worried about it being so close to SA, but the time of year I am going (and from your comment) makes me think the crowds should not be bad.

I had read about the Texas State Park program and not needing a license. I think that is a great promotional idea for the state. Other states should consider adopting it.

Thank you!

Used live within ten miles of the Guadalupe River State Park and got there occasionally. It could work for what you want, though for my money, I'd head to South Llano River State Park in Junction. It's on the far western edge of the Hill Country, but I think the river is a better, more fishable choice. It's the site of the San Antonio FFF Chapter's annual single fly event.

+ Reply to Thread