+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clips for Split Thread Dubbing / Hackle

Default Clips for Split Thread Dubbing / Hackle

Been lots of great looking flies on here lately using split thread technqiues. That's a techqnique that I've only used a few times, but the recent SBSs have gotten my interested in in giving it another try. I'm wondering what kind of clip tool you all recommend for keeping material so nicely aligned when inserted into the split thread. Do you all use the Marc Petitjean tool or are there less expensive alternatives? Thanks.

I use the Petitjean clip; like being able to see through it to gauge the length of the material going in the loop. You could use a bullclip, potato chip bag clip, etc and get similar results.

Regards,
    Scott

Either the Petitjean tool or nothing at all. Once you get the materials in the thread, you can always maneuver them within reason around to your liking. The only reason I have the Petitjean set is because I got them on clearance, and would still be using a Bulldog clip otherwise.

I have noticed that Orvis and Feathercraft both are carrying the new Stonfo clear clips in large and small. They come in sets of two but unfortunately the sets are of the same size. In order to have 1 large and 1 small you have to buy two sets.....a dirty trick to get more of your money! Stonfo is also selling the new thread splitter that is also available at both shops so the ticket for the whole system would run very close to $60 or more. Wish they would have a president's day sale. Can't decide if the thread splitter is really worth the $30. Has anyone bought one ad can give a opinion?
    Gerri

$30 for a thread splitter? I epoxied a darning needle, that my wife donated to me, in a wooden dowel. Cost? about $.25 and I can guarantee it'll split thread just as well.

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by ScottP; 02-12-2015 at 11:16 PM.

Yeah Scott, my vision probs make some things very time consuming and difficult for me so I tend to explore anything that might make tying easier for me. It is hard to judge the worthiness of some items displayed on a page without holding them in my hands and getting a close-up look. I am thinking of going over to Tyson's just to do that.
    Gerri

what helps me most is if i know i am going to use split thread is to to go up a thread size. By the time i am down to 70 denier 8/0 i usually need extra magnification

I know Hans can flatten the thread with his fingers, but I've found it easier (for me) to take the twist out of the thread then run something like a bobbin tube, half-hitch tool or whatever against the thread to get it real flat, then insert the needle. Even with finer stuff like UTC 70, MFC 8/0, Gudebrod 10/0, it's pretty easy to get the fibers split.

Regards,
    Scott

ps - Gerri, if you go to Tyson's and Collin's working, tell him Mr. Patterson says "hey"

Quote Originally Posted by whatfly View Post
    Either the Petitjean tool or nothing at all. Once you get the materials in the thread, you can always maneuver them within reason around to your liking. The only reason I have the Petitjean set is because I got them on clearance, and would still be using a Bulldog clip otherwise.
    The Petitijan tool is excellent, but I use those black binder clips that you can buy at Staples or mostly anywhere. They're lo-tech, but they work for me. Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by gerri View Post
    I have noticed that Orvis and Feathercraft both are carrying the new Stonfo clear clips in large and small. They come in sets of two but unfortunately the sets are of the same size. In order to have 1 large and 1 small you have to buy two sets.....a dirty trick to get more of your money! Stonfo is also selling the new thread splitter that is also available at both shops so the ticket for the whole system would run very close to $60 or more. Wish they would have a president's day sale. Can't decide if the thread splitter is really worth the $30. Has anyone bought one ad can give a opinion?
    Gerri
    I prefer the Stonfo clips to the Staples bulldog clips. The inside surfaces of the Stonfo clips are roughened a bit which aids in holding the material to go in the dubbing loop more securely. Here is a video on the Stonfo thread splitter. Note that it is not meant to be used with smaller thread sizes 14/0 - 18/0:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcpP-usw094

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

+ Reply to Thread