+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Father day present

Default Father day present

Hello, I got a fly fishing rod for father days from my wife and girls, the thing is that I have no idea of what is next. It is a dogwood canyon line 6 wt from basspro, it includes backing, line and leader. I mentioned once to my wife about getting into fly fishing and she surprised me today with it! I live in south georgia, so it will be used for bluegills and largemouth bass most of the time. Any suggestion as to where to start?
    Thanks!

nighthawk Guest

reelon,
    Welcome to FAOL and the great sport of fly fishing. Look at the menu at the left and click on fly fishing basics. Good place to start. Also you might want to find some fly shops in your area.

------------------
    Eric "nighthawk"

American veteran and proud of it!

I'll second reading everything contained in the menu to the left starting with FFB and working your way through ...

A TON of tips,Tactics,Gear choices and reviews....Hatch and Pattern info...Well it's ALL right there.... Enjoy..and do not forget to sign up for the free drawing whilst in there!!!

Sponsor's page is a good start to for other needful things....I'm sure you'll find many of those...lol

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

Everyone wants to excel in this sport but at the same time we let traditionalists place restrictions on our tactics, methods, and ideas. I always assumed that fly fishing was a sport that allowed imagination, creation, adaptation, investigation, dedication, education, revelation? : Fox Statler, On Spinners (Not the dainty Dry Fly kind) "Spinner'd Minner Fly"

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Welcome!
    You came to the perfect place. I envy you being in south Georgia. Always check out the Warmwater board for bass and bluegill tips and flies also.
    Fair warning!! It just keeps getting better the more you flyfish and is highly addictive. A deer hair mouse is a good bass fly to start with. Also, many of the poppers will catch bass and gills. You are hunting with a flyrod so plan your trips and ambush techniques with fun in mind.
    Ask lots of questions here and tells us about your exploits so we can enjoy your escapades vicariously through you!
    Welcome again and hope to see more of you!
    Andy

------------------
    all types of fishermen must pull together for the good of all!!!

If I had your snail mail I would send you a few flies for panfish.

Rick

Absolutely first thing to do is be patient while learning the basics of casting .Then start having the time of your life.

I can do the same. Send me your e-mail if you will. Please check the warmwater site here as well. Welcome to the sweet madness. JGW

Reelon: Welcome to the wrold of fly fishing. I will also send you a dozen or so bluegill flies if you send me your snail mail address.
    Tim Anderson, Klamath Falls, Oregon

The funny thing is that it's fun even when you don't know exactly what you are doing, like right now. It isn't something you 'learn how' and then 'go do'. More like you 'go do' and try to 'learn how' as you are doing it. Forever. And, thats fun.

Reelon,
    Welcome to not only the best fly fishing site on the 'net, but the best group of guys.
    I would emphasize spending as much time as possible learning how to cast. If you are like me and have a family with young un's, your time on the water will be limited, but if you can put your fly where you want it to go when you do go fishing, you will enjoy it a lot more. There are plenty of guys on here who are certified cast instructors and maybe could point you to one in your area.
    Welcome aboard.

+ Reply to Thread