+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whiting 100 packs and your great discoveries

I like the Whitings 100's. I especialy use them for Adams Parachutes which I tie in quantity, but only in a limited range of sizes. I can buy a size 14 pack and not have to waste a bunch of feathers that ar too large or small for the task. I thinks it's a great product.

I also like to dye them for odd one of a kind uses. I have a pack of size 10 grizzly that I might pull enough feathers for 2-3 flies and over dye them with yellow or olive. Now I can tie up some big green drakes, a fly I only use once in 2-3 years.

Metz also packages a pre-sized product. They divide a regular cape into three sections and package it as small/med/large.
    You can buy the medium size package in brown/grizzly/dun and have enough material for almost every western mayfly pattern. Good for travel too.

Good to know Kengore! I ordered from Conranch and should have plenty for a looooong time. -Migs

One thing that has really come in handy for me: Go out to a fabric store and buy a small section of Tulle. Make it just big enough to fit in your net, place it carefully in the main current, and check out what buggers those fish are eating. Its like your own mini seine. It can be kind of a pain getting it to set right in the net initially, but it certainly saves you from having to carry another net or large seine.

I took a small piece of fiberglass window screen, stitched the edges, rolled it up, been carrying it since they invented it. Can't seem to wear it out.

My 3oz pewter flask.

I discovered that it's too small!

+ Reply to Thread