+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oil Spill on the Yellowstone River

Default Oil Spill on the Yellowstone River

http://billingsgazette.com/news/stat...b8d0f9b9a.html

Authorities still trying to determine the extent of the damage. Although an estimated 50,000 gallons of oil were dumped into the Yellowstone River near Glendive, they said they are "unaware of any threats to public safety or health" - fish, aquatic insects and riparian wildlife were unavailable for comment

Regards,
    Scott

ACCIDENTS do happen. The only other possibility is that environmentalist zealots did this to advance their agenda. Unless you "drive" a horse to work, cook and heat you home with wood you chopped ,have an acre of solar collectors and the newest wind turbine generator ( all manufactured by environmentally correct immaculate conception) that's the unfortunate price we all pay for progress/convenience.
    But, that being said, I will not fish the Y"Stone river in that area for a while until nature and the hundreds of workers with great paying jobs clean up the mess.

Mark

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    ACCIDENTS do happen that's the unfortunate price we all pay for progress/convenience.
    Not debating the point that accidents can and will happen; that's a given. What does concern me is how the company responds to the problem - identifying the scope of the damage (and honestly reporting it), containing the spill quickly to minimize damage and then implementing a rigorous clean-up effort to attempt to restore the river to it's former health, not wasting time standing in front of a microphone spinning a lot of half-truths and misinformation as to the extent of the damage. All you have to do is go back 4 years and about 250 miles upstream to see how not to handle the situation. Let's hope Bridger Pipeline doesn't repeat Exxon Mobil's mistakes.

Regards,
    Scott

Scott,
    No accident of this type can EVER be corrected/repaired to an original pristine condition. Given that is is an accident with no obvious negligence, the expectations of resultant corrections are mitigated by the local, and if applicable, Federal authorities. I;m not familiar with the upstream situation you cited , but, apparently some authority signed off on the completed "repairs".
    Byron, Kauai must be really blind .by neglecting the billion barrels of cheap oil just beneath the surface and opting for the more expensive solar power provided by (50%)God.

Oh, wait, there is NO Oil under the island and importing it from the mainland is very expensive so they opt for the CHEAPER and obvious option , solar.
    My point, unless something changes, economy dictates. "Green" is noble but not yet practical ( in most cases)
    And, apparently you read something AGAIN into my post implying I am against solar. Quiet the contrary.

Mark
    Last edited by Marco; 01-20-2015 at 02:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Marco View Post
    I;m not familiar with the upstream situation you cited
    Mark,

Here's some info on the 2011 Silvertip spill:

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/07/03/us...pill.html?_r=0

Folks, I'd like to keep this thread focused on the topic. If you guys want to have a discussion on other issues, please take it elsewhere.

Regards,
    Scott

Scott,
    Thanks for the update. No doubt , it's an ugly scenario. After seeing this I will agree it's easier for me to champion "progress" from poolside ( Naples FL) 2000 miles away. But, having said that, other than improving the reliability of pipelines, I see no immediate solution. Oil is plentiful, cheap and cheaper than any practical alternative................and those cold facts dictate it's future.
    Defense rests

Mark

I might add, however, I'm VERY interested in the investigation of this "accident". It seems that several circumstances just happened to align at precisely the right time and place. To wit: Congress passes the Pipeline bill, a very long pipeline just happens to burst and in, of ALL PLACES ( Golly Gee!!) , a VERY ecologically "convenient" area. We're not talkin a Sherlock Holmes mystery here. It should be investigated vigorously from the top down. In this case, top being sabotage by WACKOS and then down to ....stuff happens.

Mark

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/pi...lowstone-spill

Fortunately, they've shut down the pipeline; even if the exposed portion is damaged before it can be replaced, there's no oil flowing in it.

Regards,
    Scott

http://insideclimatenews.org/news/20...-welding-1950s

Not a good time to own stock in Bridger Pipeline LLC, apparently.

Regards,
    Scott

I live in Louisiana... Pipelines are literally everywhere and spill are very, very rare...
    Never trust quotes you find on the internet.
    Thomas Jefferson

+ Reply to Thread