+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Waterproofing

If you go to the camping section at WalMart they sell stuff called Silicone Water Guard.

It's an aerosol water proofing solution for camping gear.

Spray some into a cup to concentrate it. Dip flies in it, and let it dry overnight.

Waterproofs everything. Lasts longer than I've been able to fish the same fly. Especially effective on deer hair bass bugs.

I tested a lot of things, and this is by far the best I've found.

Everything I've read about WD-40 and fishing has been unanimous that t's not good for the water, doesn't work as a 'floatant' and contains no 'natural' ingredients like banana oil (what it smells like). No one in the bass world uses it as an 'attractant' anymore, not because it 'bad' for the environment, but because it doesn't work near as well as the stuff made for the purpose.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

In CA, use of WD40 can get you cited by a game warden if (s)he is around. Putting petrolium products into water bodies is a big no-no.
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

Best troll to date.

Blog Entries

Whatfly,
    I don't follow. Please explain.
    Thanks

Lol well said

Here's a little known fact about WD-40 and firearms and I suppose other things it is used continuously.

My own personal experience....

When duck hunting especially using automatic shotguns and WD-40...yes both as a water displacer and lubricant ...we noticed the guns would get sluggish and need cleaning. I decided to try something so every day before I hunted I sprayed my shotgun with WD from an aerosol can. I wanted to see how long it would work. The gun would get sluggish but by spraying it every time it would loosen up...yes it was lubricating. Well finally it quit on me...after actually two seasons

I had too take down the entire gun and clean it even to the point of chiseling out a varnish like substance. What occurs is the propellent in the aerosol spray leaves that varnish like residue.
    This does not happen if you use WD in the bulk and use a hand spray.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it and has no relation to fishing .

WD-40 is both a lubricate and a displacer. It is also still very effective for cleaning firearms. The military no longer uses it, and there are "better" cleaners to use these days. But does not harm firearms and is the ONLY lubricant I use on black powder firearms. Its the best thing I've found to clean saltwater reels and rods. Does it leave a slick on the water? Yes. But so does Gink....so what's the point? It would be like the oil from a salmon egg. Hardly a hazard.

This is the only WD-40 I put in water...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qu9H0o9MPOs

There are plenty of uses for that product, none of which include putting it on fly patterns...

http://www.snopes.com/inboxer/household/wd-40.asp

P
    T/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

I would be inclined to try Never Wet if I were looking from something new. I have used Scotchgard in the past.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I have been using this for a number of years now. Soak the flies and let them dry overnight. It doesn't discolor but it mats the hackle a little, but it's easy to unmat it when it dries.

Works as good as any and better than most. I haven't tried it on CDC so I don't know what it will do to it, probably not something good. I read about it on FAOL in this article:

http://flyanglersonline.com/flytying...ips/part49.php

Joe

+ Reply to Thread