+ Reply to Thread

Thread: UV cured resin questions

Default UV cured resin questions

Two questions for those who use UV cured Resin.

I have found a resin sold as Lisa Pavelka in the jewelry section of Michaels. It is primarily used to put a gloss on hand made jewelry. The website says after coating the piece, to put it out in the sun or to use their light to cure it. From the video on the website, it appears to be rather thick. Would this resin be useful for heads and scud backs?

Secondly ? would the hand held UV lights sold on Ebay be adequate to cure these resins? There are 9 and 12 LED versions at prices that are much lower than most other sources.
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

I can't chime in on the jewelry resin.

I bought this off ebay for a 1.50 maybe ten years ago, and it cures UV knot sense very well. It's main purpose is to cure finger nail whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by smij View Post
    I can't chime in on the jewelry resin.

I bought this off ebay for a 1.50 maybe ten years ago, and it cures UV knot sense very well. It's main purpose is to cure finger nail whatever.

I've got one of those, too. Mine does okay for stuff like Knotsense shellbacks on Copper Johns or coated whipped loops on flylines, but they usually need a boost from the sun to totally cure.

Regards,
    Scott

The light I am considering is one of the these in the link. There are others of the same ilk, some a bit bigger - 21 LEDs and a lot of 9 LED versions all of which can be had for less than $15 delivered.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/500LM-12-LEDs-UV-Flashlight-Purple-Light-Inspection-Detector-Checker-Torch-/221664060450?pt=US_Flashlights&hash=item339c352422

Clint
    in far west Kentucky

That's exacty the light I use and it works just fine.

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

We have several lights and we use the same light shown, when we can find it! Sometimes the finish feels "velvety" to us and we have not paid attention as to if it is a big light/little light result.
    We still use epoxy too. We sometimes do a sloppy mix and get a tacky cure. Does anyone else use a coat of Sally Hanson's as a "cure all" finish?
    ....lee s.

Default One answer.

An answer to one of my questions. The Lisa Pavelka resin works great. It is thicker than SHHAN but not overly so. I took a fly I had tied and had not used any head cement and using a bodkin put a coat around the whip finish, stuck it in a cork and set it out on the bbq grill in the bright sun. Hardened up wonderfully. There was a thread end sticking out and I used my rough scissors to trim it. Now I have to wait for the UV light to get here from China - untill then, I will just sun cure the flies.
    Clint
    in far west Kentucky

Look at the UV laser used in the electronics repair racket. Found one UK for about $10.00. Accuracy and control and works on the 3-4 brands of glue I'm using up.
    Just another HappyHooker

Catching and Releasing Fisher-folk for 40+years

+ Reply to Thread