+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Powell Timax vs Scott A2

Default Powell Timax vs Scott A2

Hello, I'm down to these finalists for steelhead, 9' 8wt rod. I fish the tribs of Lake Erie, may take it to Cancun this year to surf fish. they are about equally priced and warrantied. I have been fly fishing 3 years and have limited experience. I am asking for your opinion on each rod.

I am especially interested if you own one of these.

also how much rod difference is there going to be between a medium action rod and fast action rod??
    There's no sense in being dumb unless you get to show it off once in a while...

Buzz, the Scott says medium-fast. I don't have the benefit of a fly shop that carries both in my area. Or a fly shop that I would buy from.

The Powell is available from the company website at a fair price $279 and the Scott from $295

I've casted 4 fly rods in my fly fishing career, I own 3 of them. I broke my White River on a steelie this spring and had it repaired. It's just not the same though and I decided that I would go out and buy a new one.

It'll mainly be a steelhead rod but I will fish bass, pike, muskie with it too. I intend to try muskie in the float tube this summer. It should make things interesting

Chris, i'm a lake Erie Steelheader as well. I generally use a 10' rod for most of my steelhead fishing (except for bigger water, then I use my spey). A 9' foot rod will work fine, but the 10 footers seem to work better. The most common line weight would be a 7, but an 8 works well too. The 8 may give you more versatility for the other species you mentioned.
    That said, I would probably go with the A2. I have a 6 wt. SAS, it's previous incarnation, and its a light, smooth rod, with a medium fast action. I can't comment on the TiMax, as I haven't heard anything about them.
    BUZZ, he was asking about the A2, not the G2. The G2's a sweet, little trout rod.

I was really hoping to get some feedback on the Powell, I hear that the Scott is sweet. The Powell has peaked my curiosity though.

I was thinking about the 9'6" Scott A2, or even a sage VT@ 8'6" 8wt

Chris...I deleted my posts cuz I mis read yours. sorry

Chris, I just bought one of the new VT2's and it's an awesome rod. I got the 9' 4wt and really like it. Very similar to the old RPL (which is one of my favorite rods). Of the three, I would go with that.

Chris

I fish the Salmon River in NY and bought a 10 ft TFO 4 piece rod last year. It works great and the extra ft. makes a big difference mending the line. I also have a 9ft St Croix Legend Elite that I barley use anymore. TFO is a great rod for the money. I would definitely go with the 10 ft.

Good Luck

Steve

I have a 5wt TFO that I love. I decided that i would keep an American working instead of sending more money to China.

I may be trading one of my downrigger rods tomorrow for a G Loomis (the guy has no idea but needs a downrigger rod) so keep your fingers crossed. I'd probably go 2 downrigger rods for this but he doesn't need to know this. I should be able to make a sweet deal! I'll keep you informed!

pspaint, I fish the tribs west of Buffalo. I'm lucky to have great fishing in my backyard.

smg, I have fished the Salmon River in October...yet to figure out that whole lifting thing...especially with a fly rod. I have also fished the Ausable and hit it at the right times and knocked their fins off! One of my favorite places to fish is Lake Champlain, in a kayak with the fly rod.

Chris, I fish those same streams. I live just outside of Buffalo. What type Loomis are you trading for? They make some awesome rods.
    I love the AuSable. You wont find a prettier area and river. It hasn't fished as good as at use to, but still worth the trip. The Salmon's cool too. I had a couple arm breaking days up there last fall chasing the kings around.

+ Reply to Thread