+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Dream Rod selection. I need some help picking the best rod blank under $400

Default Dream Rod selection. I need some help picking the best rod blank under $400

Ok, I posted this on a rod building site, but I want to hear from you guys as well. I make my own rods, but typically don't spend much on the rods I use. My lovely wife basically got me a$400 to send on a high performance rod blank for myself. I love 3wt rods for the Arkansas rivers I fish. I can get a Sage, Orvis, Thomas and Thomas all for under $400 for the blank, and I am sure there are options I have not even considered. I am looking for some help making the best choice on a high end trout rod, as this type of luxury will not happen again till after I put 4 kids through college.

Thanks for the help.

Blog Entries

Bedlam,

I must admit I am prejudiced. If I was going to buy a blank I would not hesitate a second to buy a Sage blank. Which Sage? All depends upon which action you like from slow to ultra fast, they have them all. Except for a bamboo rod that I sometimes use on very small creeks, I only use Sage fly rods. I have rods with actions from slow to fast. I have not gone into the ultra fast, my personal choice. But all the actions that I do have are all very good rods and each has its own purpose. You can't go wrong with Sage. Then again, like I said, I am prejudiced. The other brands you mentioned as well as others also make excellent fly rods.

Larry ---sagefisher---

I like a faster rod, and can reach areas other struggle reaching. Since switching to a 3 wt Bingham blank(great inexpensive blank) I have noticed a huge reduction in line breaks, as I tend to fish long drifts, primarily with nymphs and emerges. TheSage one is top of the list currently, but the Orvis Helios 2 is nice as well, but I've noticed several reports of catastrophic failures, which is a little scary since buying the blank, orvis does not offer a warranty.

Got to understand my thinking runs strongly to bamboo these days. And for building a custom rod that is going to become an heirloom, there are several well known and very well respected builders out there who could sell you a blank for $400 and build something really special. These builders will work with you to create just the type of rod you want for your fishing, including an option for two tips of different line weights, a soft 4 and faster 5 for example. Give it a thought and you want some builders to talk to let me know.

Everyone's taste and style are different. What I may think is the "best" you might dislike. For me the best casting small stream rod I have ever fished is an Orvis Far and Fine, 7'9" for a 5 wt., the older staggered ferrule, unsanded blank last made in 2002.
    The rod has made me a better caster. It puts the fly where I'm looking even around a corner.

However as vicider eluded a plastic rod will never become and heirloom..... only bamboo can do that.

Put another $2K with your $400 and you can have this Kusse Quad for the grandkids to ogle over for years

Last edited by Jerry; 12-26-2014 at 01:33 PM.

That Jerry, is absolutely beautiful. Take the plastic off and go fishing now. That's what Ron built it for. I have a 8' 5wt. quad built by Tim Zietek that I bought the blank with a rattan handle in place and ferruled 2 tip. I finished the rod with quality snakes and silk and still have around $400 total in the rod. Fished it the other day for first time and it is a pleasure to fish, like most of Tim's tapers.

Bamboo? Yeah, that really helps with the OP's question...

Bedlam: Have to agree with safefisher's recommendations. If you like fast, a Sage Method. If you like a slower/softer rod, TXL-F. Would not recommend buying any blank until you at least try casting a production rod. Not sure why anyone would need a fast 3-weight, but be sure that you like the rod before you buy the blank.

If it were me, I would just buy a rod and be done with it. While building rods can be personally rewarding, if you use quality components you do not save that much money these days, especially if time is valuable, and repairs can be a pain if/when it breaks. YMMV.
    Last edited by whatfly; 12-26-2014 at 06:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bedlam View Post
    I like a faster rod, and can reach areas other struggle reaching. Since switching to a 3 wt Bingham blank(great inexpensive blank) I have noticed a huge reduction in line breaks, as I tend to fish long drifts, primarily with nymphs and emerges. TheSage one is top of the list currently, but the Orvis Helios 2 is nice as well, but I've noticed several reports of catastrophic failures, which is a little scary since buying the blank, orvis does not offer a warranty.
    My first thoughts were the Sage One and Winton BIIIX. Similar actions in my opinion, good at distance but excellent performance at close range too. The Orvis H2 strikes me as a similar rod, though I've only cast it briefly indoors.

Thanks for all the help. Part of my journey as a fly fisherman brought me to making my own rods and now, similar to fly tying, it is hard to fish something I did not build, which is why my wife wanted me to get a nice blank, and why a bamboo stick is not an option. I have built each of my three boys a rod as well as my wife, and my new baby girl will be getting hers way before she can use it. I have also built and given away several to friends and church members. The person I don't put any effort into building for is myself, which my wife wanted to fix. so I now have a sage one 3 wt ordered. I have made a couple grips for it already, and might have a few more done before the blank arrives due to some back order issues. Thanks for the help everyone!

+ Reply to Thread