+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: So Why Do You Use The Vise You Do????

Western Portal Sequoia National Forest & the G.T.W., Kern River, CA.

Why? I'd love to give you some technically driven tying answer, but that simply wouldn't be true.

I tie a mix of Saltwater, Steelhead and Trout files. But that's not really the reason I tie on the vise I use, any number of vises will do those things well.

Maybe its because when I started looking for a new vise I asked Cal ( Bird ) how he liked his, he had nothing but great things to say about it and recommended I try one out. But that's not the real reason I tie on this specific vise.

It's because a dear friend and client of mine presented it to me a couple of days after he overheard what Cal said to me. So I've been tying on it since.
    It's coming up on 25 years since then and I still think of them both when I sit down to tie.
    It's an early Dyna-King Professional and I'm riding this baby into the sunset.

Dave
    Last edited by Dave E; 12-13-2014 at 03:46 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jeremy View Post
    I tie everything from #22 Pseudo's for trout to 6/0 musky flies. I've vacillated between a few diff. vises off an' on. Being a former tool designer (eye's roll..big deal..) I have this thing about tools!!

I have an HMH and use the midge jaws for really small flies. I bought a Regal with the new stainless steel jaws for medium sized (#16-#20) flies b/c it's open/close and complete ease and that's really all I need. And I have a Snowbee-Waldron for the big stuff.

Don't ask me why, I don't really "need" three vises but as mentioned it's part of my vice-thingy with tooling. And I'm afraid that if it changes it's gonna get worse!!!

Jeremy.
    Had to giggle a bit at wondering why you have three vises and were a tool designer... I have at least three different brands that I have at least three vises from and many others... Mostly I have been giving the better ones to kids lately just because I will never use them again.

Hap, I giggle at myself sometimes too. More often though, it's that "eye's roll" thingy...w/a click of the tongue!

*G*

Blog Entries

Because it does exactly what I need it to do, without a "system" of bells and whistles that, in 35 years of tying, I have never needed.

I tie mostly on a Renzetti Traveler 2000. Prior to my purchase, I tied on a DanVise for many years, but wanted to upgrade to something that was still true rotary and could hold tiny hooks (the DanVise could make a #22 hook shoot across the room at supersonic speeds).

I still use the DanVise for very big flies.

A few years ago, I received a Marco Polo tying system as a gift. I use the vise when I travel and when tying on scud-type hooks.

I use a Regal regular size vise does everything I need large and small size hooks. Besides my fingers start to hurt after holding hooks for a couple of hours!
    Were only dancing on this earth for a short time, might as well be dancing with trout.

There are two vises that I use a Nor-vise and a DynaKing Voyager II. For most of my tying at home I use the Nor-Vise. The speed in which rotary tying can be had is head and shoulders above all other rotary vises I have used and owned. I like that I can go from stationary tying to rotary with just a movement of the locking/spinning hub.

For fishing and camping trips I use the DynaKing Voyager II. It's small enough to travel with yet heavy enough to keep the vise in place for flies requiring a lot of thread torque. It's also bullet-proof and should last many life times. I had a DynaKing Baracuda for years, but I never really could get fully comfortable with the tying angle. The Voyager' tying angle is very comfortable to me.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

I understand the two vise scenario one for home and the second for travel/camping/stream side tying. I have an HMH Spartan Orvis edition for my travel vise. Now here is my question:

Why do others tye on a few different vises at home?

is it because you can and love different vises?

Is it because one vise just doesn't do it all for you?

Is it because you feel one vise handles tying a specific fly better than the other.

Is it because you like to collect vises? I know some people do.

I am not bashing or throwing out an opinion. I am just honestly and respectfully asking why so I can see the need for and understand multiple vises to tye on at home

Blog Entries

Font,
    I am one you refer to, and all of the above are true:

I collect vises because I like the different features of each.
    I enjoy tying on different vises from time to time.
    90% of my tying is done on a Jvice though. I believe it is the best fly tying vise ever designed and made.

Font, speaking only for myself, some of us are just scatter-brained and either can't decide on using just the one vise for a favored fly type or just have this want to have a few nice tools around and switch it up. Either that or as I mentioned before, some flies are more enjoyable to tie on a particular vise - e.g. tiny flies on the midge jaws - or the fun of playing with diff. toys.

It's part of the enjoyment of the game, much the same as bamboo rods. Variation. I fit all the above categories - 'specially the bamboo thingy - and most notably the scatter-brained one!

What can I say...
    Last edited by Jeremy; 12-16-2014 at 10:12 PM. Reason: spellin'

+ Reply to Thread