+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need tips casting two flies

Default Need tips casting two flies

What is the best set up and casting method?
    "You must not be too greedy in catching your said game (fish), as in taking too much at one time...That could easily be the occasion of destroying your own sport and other men's also." Juliana Berners (1450)

I suggest that you attach a second hook onto the bend of the first hook. A popular setup is to attach a high floater such as a deer hair pattern with a nymph below. The floater will act as an indicator also. Keep your loops wide and high during the back cast. Best wishes

Keep your false casting to a minimum.

Also, the Belgium cast style works well with multiple fly rigs.

Blog Entries

And tight loops are no longer your friend.

Make sure to pause on your backcast. The most common cause of windknots for my clients when they're fishing two flies (which is to say almost always) is not coming to a complete stop at the top of the cast.

Blog Entries

There is some very good advice here McM. I always fish two flies when nymphing and I keep my false casting to an absolute minimum or not at all by using a Belgium cast, keeping the loop very wide, as wide as possible and you will still tangle up but not too often. Dry flying is different. Be it two dry flies or a dry dropper, you will most likely tangle up a whole lot more, I know I do. I really prefer to dry fly with just one fly. But sometimes it is necessary to use a dropper if you want to increase your chances of catching a fish. Remember the advice given already and also do not cast your top fly to the exact spot you want it if it is a few inches from the rocks or shore, remember your dropper is still moving thru the air and may end up on the rock or shore, or weeds, or...... I usually put up with this as long as possible then cut off my dropper and go back to a single dry fly.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Most of the guys i got started fly fishing have been reluctant to use a second fly. If I can convince them to try they have done extremely well if i put a size 16 tungsten bead head fly on the tippet and second unweighted fly 18 or 24 inches above on the leader. That is not the way I rig myself but it has worked the best for guys with less experience. I also Try to get them to roll cast or water load as much as possible.
    A heavier fly generally gives more trouble.

Jesse's theorem "The increase frequency of tangles is approximately equal to the square of the number of flies on the line." Something I learn from listen to and watch Lefty Kreh, Long for Cutts kind of mentioned bring your rod to a complete stop on the backcast. Let the line straighten behind you and a complete stop on the forecast.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

And now that you know how to fling the combo, when releasing a catch, ALWAYS be mindful as to the OTHER hook(s) lest it/they end up embedded in your ...................... This is especially important when the take was on the main fly and the dropper is sometimes wrapped around the fish. I KNOW of what I speak.

Mark

+ Reply to Thread