+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Beginner Rod

Blog Entries

Since this is for a child? I would suggest the TFO Bug Launcher, which is made for smaller hands and comes in a 7 foot length
    http://www.tforods.com/fly-fishing/r...l#.VGoR1RTwuow

Larry ---sagefisher---

Just remind your "beginner" to be patient. If they've never cast a fly rod before, learning on a short 6' - 7' will have it's challenges.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Quote Originally Posted by sagefisher View Post
    Since this is for a child? I would suggest the TFO Bug Launcher, which is made for smaller hands and comes in a 7 foot length
    http://www.tforods.com/fly-fishing/r...l#.VGoR1RTwuow

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Thanks for the tip. I'll take a look at this one.

Quote Originally Posted by anglerdave View Post
    Just remind your "beginner" to be patient. If they've never cast a fly rod before, learning on a short 6' - 7' will have it's challenges.
    I'm kind of going the, "lesser of two evils", approach in that that I'm afraid the longer rod will result in more hang ups on the water.

More hang ups = more frustration for all involved.

Quote Originally Posted by bgreer View Post
    No one has mentioned the Cabela's "Three Forks" rods.

I do not own one (I have too many rods as it is) But some people really love them.

Brian
    I'll second Brian's suggestion. That 7 ft 3 in 3 weight is a darn nice casting rod and Cabela's currently has it on sale for half price ($35). They also have the Reddington CT on sale for half price. They also have free shipping on $49 orders.

I have the Three Forks rod, as well as a slew of other rods, and found it cast quite nicely. I found it best with a 4 weight line.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by dave potts View Post
    I'll second Brian's suggestion. That 7 ft 3 in 3 weight is a darn nice casting rod and Cabela's currently has it on sale for half price ($35). They also have the Reddington CT on sale for half price. They also have free shipping on $49 orders.

I have the Three Forks rod, as well as a slew of other rods, and found it cast quite nicely. I found it best with a 4 weight line.

Dave
    I agree on the Three Forks. A beginner should start with a rod that casts well whether the caster is a good caster or not. Some inexpensive rods are just to hard to get in time with.... the Three Forks is not one of them. I've owned at least one for 20+ years. I'm amazed every time I pick it up at what a dandy caster it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerry View Post
    I agree on the Three Forks. A beginner should start with a rod that casts well whether the caster is a good caster or not. Some inexpensive rods are just to hard to get in time with.... the Three Forks is not one of them. I've owned at least one for 20+ years. I'm amazed every time I pick it up at what a dandy caster it is.
    Seems like I should give the Three Forks a hard look.

Thanks for the tip.

Another vote for the Three Forks. A crazy good value, especially with the sales they run from time to time.

Actually, the best buy would be the combo which is also on sale right now for around $70. You get the 7 ft 6 in three weight rod along with the Prestige Plus reel and a 4 weight line and backing. I have one of those reels and it's a very decent reel. I'm sure they are made by Okuma as I have one of those reels too and the spools are interchangeable.

Dave

I started my two sons and my brother in law on the Three Forks 3 wt.that was about a dozen or more years ago so I don't know if it is the same rod as then.theylearned on the SNP streams and small south central PA. streams and the rod was perfect for what you might be fishing ,given your location. just put decent line on the reel..if you can find something nice and inexpensive at your local fly shop go with them instead, if you can. it will be a better investment in the long run.i wasn't close to any when I started my kids so was forced to go online.
    have fun and be patient.
    'you 're really guiding rather than fishing with your son for the first year or so.
    Best,
    Steve
    it's all good drifts

20 minutes from the Great Smoky Mountains N.P. and lots of cool water fishing.

I will vouch for the Reddington Classic Trout. It's a good rod and handles well. I am back with fly fishing after a 45 year hiatus and this is the rod I have relearned with and can easily cast 40 feet. Action is medium and I like the feel on the takes.

Quote Originally Posted by sagefisher View Post
    Mark,

You will be getting a lot of suggestions as there are a number of companies out there who produce some very good entry level and above fly rods.

My 2 cents worth are these. You can't go wrong with any of them.

TFO Lefy Kreh Signature Series II - Lifetime warranty for $120
    http://www.tforods.com/fly-fishing/r...l#.VGD76xTwuow
    ---------------------------
    Echo Solo fly rod for $120 - Echo lifetime warranty
    http://www.echoflyfishing.com/html/r...product_type=1
    -----------------
    Reddington Fly Rods - the Crosswater for $80 and the Classic Trout fopr $150 with Reddingtons lifetime warranty.
    http://www.redington.com/fly-fishing-rods/
    -------------

Larry ---sagefisher---
    Gordon
    Live every day as if it were your last.

+ Reply to Thread