+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone use this Indicator Tool

The nit picker should work just fine, but I saw these needles ant thought maybe closer to the real thing?

http://www.amazon.com/As-Seen-On-Sec...+thread+needle

Brad
    "A woman drove me to drink and I didn't even have the decency to thank her."
    -W.C. Fields

Blog Entries

Duck,
    Never used the tool, but wonder if it might be more convenient on the water?

Byron,

My response will not answer your question since I do not use indicators, but, after looking at this, I think it is pretty slick and it would be something I would use if I did use indicators. It should cast beautifully and not "hinge".
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

My buddy made a "kit" for me. He used a crochet hook, some medical tubing, and poly macrame yarn (actually crochet hooks and tubing in two different sizes).

I do most of my nymphing with a tight line and no indicator, but I like an indicator for fishing heavy nymphs deep with longer casts. I used to use a 1/2" or 3/4" Thingamabobber, but I like the yarn better -- less wear on my leader, easy to adjust buoyancy (with more or less yarn), more sensitive, and less splash.

I've found that it's not really difficult to double your leader over and poke it through a section of tube without the aid of the tool. I'd probably be fine with just tubing and yarn and without the tool.

Byron, I use it and like it a lot. It is only good for small nymphs and light splitshot. If I use heavy nymphs and BB split I use a large piece of yarn. It is very sensitive if used properly.
    Gene

Quote Originally Posted by Allan View Post
    Make a slip knot in the leader, place a piece of wool into knot, draw knot tight. What's the big deal?
    I used that method. It's very easy to set up the first time, but it is much harder to adjust the depth. You often have to untie the knot, and it leaves a kink.
    With the Aussie, you can easily slide the indicator to wherever you need.

I've been using this method since I first saw it. Works great. I use IV tubing and polypro yarn. You can usually get by without the tool (just bend the leader over, hold it tight and thread the loop through the tubing. Put the yarn through toe loop and tighten). Doesn't crimp the leader loop and is easily adjustable. I also bought some of the wool which they sell without the kit and found it lacking in floatability. Polypro works better in my opinion.

Wapsi "sculpin wool" . Comes in packs with the wool still on hide. I used the same method with out any tools as oldster above does. I grease my leaders and wool yarn with Loon product: Payette Paste. Off hide wool will float all day long with just one treatment usually.

aa
    US Veteran and concerned citizen

+ Reply to Thread