+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Synthetic Dry Fly Hackle?

Default Synthetic Dry Fly Hackle?

There are synthetic materials for all the parts of dry flies - tails, wings, dubbing and other body materials, etc. - that are "better" or "lighter" or "floats higher" or "stiffer" or "more durable" or any other superlative the manufacturers may use to say their synthetics are better than the natural materials that have been used for centuries, so the sales pitches say.

Except dry fly hackle.

It surprises me that somebody has not marketed some kind of synthetic, hackle feather-looking product that can be wrapped just like natural hackle and will "float a dry fly forever". Knowing how we tiers are, most of us would have to try it out and see if it works better, or at all. Synthetic streamer "hackle" is very popular and moves and acts very much like the naturals, so.....?

Or maybe it's out there and I have just missed it or haven't heard about it.

Joe

heaven forbid... No offense intended but there's already more than enough synthetic stuff around these days
    Mart

Blog Entries

I believe it was George Grant who said that he talked with 3M and was told it was possible, but not economically feasible due to the relatively small market.

I agree completely that there is too much - and most of it is the same stuff - and it's a small market, but that hasn't stopped companies in the past from putting things out there for us tiers at ridiculous prices. If there is a chance it may catch a fish, we'll try it.

Joe

Blog Entries

Byron,

I guess this time we can be happy we are such a 'small market'. Besides, chickens are not on the endangered species list and never will be.

Larry ---sagefisher---

Nature and breeding have done a superb job of engineering dry fly hackle. There is no need to reinvent it. Most if not all of the synthetic materials we use were designed for other purposes. If there was a large commercial market for a product with the same properties as dry fly hackle, it would probably exist.

For me, natural materials are 90% of what fly tying is to me.

Quote Originally Posted by NJTroutbum View Post
    For me, natural materials are 90% of what fly tying is to me.
    Exactly and Amen to that!

It sort of 'exists', but it's more time consuming and slower that real feathers.

If you place those synthetic 'tailing fibers' into a dubbing loop, they make good hackle. Especially nice when you need longer fibers and want less bulk in them, or need very sparse hackle. You can easily 'size it', and it's very light.

Only time I've done it, however, was when I was away from home and 'forgot' real hackle. Worked just as well, though.

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Love my chicken feathers and certainly have more than I'll ever need, and I'm still looking. Also enjoy my superfine dry fly dubbing and synthetic tailing material.

+ Reply to Thread