+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Want a 6 weight

Default Want a 6 weight

For those windy days, but can't fling a fast rod, seems like the only thing I enjoy is my old LL's. Did they even make a 6 wt LL? Is there a modern equivalent? Like a VPS maybe? I have a TFO Pro, but don't like, it, too heavy. Have an old Fenwick, too heavy. Gotta be light, but slow. Any ideas?

Sage did make a 6 weight Light Line rod In a 2 piece configuration (no 4 pieces). I know it was available in 1992 as the blanks show in my old Sage catalogs from that period. Bob Marriott's fly Shop had some light line rods made up on the sage blanks back then and I bought one of these 6 weights back in 92. It came with an aluminum tube and rod sock and it has the sliding rings and teak reel seat insert. If you're interested in something like this, let me know. I'd sell it for $100 + shipping and I could ship it to you to try out. If you like it, send me a check. If not, ship it back.

The rod was maybe fished a total of 5-6 times and hasn't been out of tube in 20 years or so. I started fishing faster rods, sold all my light lines (wish I'd kept a couple of the 389s), and am just now going back to slower rods in the lighter line weights (2-3 weight).

See if you can get ahold of a Winston GVX 6wt to try out. I absolutely love mine for everything but chucking the biggest streamers. A standard AFTMA WF6 line loads and casts great at trout fishing distances. I have even used it on a small NW Wyoming stream for 8-10" brookies when the wind was howling and it was still fun to hook into little fish with it.

Mike, you came through for me again. Will pm you the pertinent info. Thanks for the info on the gvx.

deleted - older post sorry

+ Reply to Thread