+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cabelas Three Forks rod

Default Cabelas Three Forks rod

I seldom do this, but I have to give a much deserved "shout-out" to Cabelas for their Three Forks rods. I recently started looking for a cheaper 4-piece light bass rod for some of the mud jungles I fish locally. And one that I could hand off to my 11yr old son without feeling nervous.

I have 2 other higher end rods with reels that I don't want bouncing off of rocks and filled with sand and mud. Plus both are 2-piece and I wanted something 4-piece. So I decided to look around. I found the Cabelas Three Forks 9' 6wt 4-piece on sale for $49. I figured.....if it makes it a year or two...its a win.

The results? Aside from coming in a cheap sock, and no tube. This rod could wear nay label and nobody would be the wiser. It literally "OUTCASTS" both of my other rods. It throws a 6wt Orvis Bass Warmwater line like a dream. All components are dead solid and straight, and there are zero flaws in build. I was really shocked. Its a tad heavier in hand....but aside from that one aspect, without a label I would rate it above or equal to my other rods. Enough so, that I have not touched my other rods since receiving it. My son is now fishing my Clearwater. LOL

The proof will be in time I reckon. If it holds together as it appears it should....what a value.

Been using a 3 wt for a couple of years.
    Like it.
    Rick

I have a 5, 6 & 8wt Three Forks rods I got about 4yrs ago, all combo outfits, that have severed me quiet well with no problems. They cast just about anything I put on them. I did get separate rod cases for them though the rod socks lasted about a year or so before falling apart but that was expected I think you'll be surprised how well they hold up.

Mike
    "The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of that which is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope" -John Buchan

I've looked at them before. But never paid them much attention. Very pleased with it so far.

I've fished the 7 1/2' 3-wt. Three Forks as my go-to small stream rod for years. I prefer a 4-wt. line for casts up to 30 feet, but it's a terrific rod. A good while back I tried to get a blank from them so I could use my own components. No dice. So I just happily fish the factory rod.

Chuck

I started my sons. brother in law and a friend or so on these rods about a dozen years ago.got them the 7 1/2 for 3 wt and put 4 wt line with it and they worked fine. my sons and the others have moved on to higher end rods but passed the three forks on to others and they are still going strong.Great rod for the money.
    Enjoy.
    Best,
    Steve
    it's all good drifts

I have that #6 weight CTF.
    Is not a powerful rod, I think a mid-plus action but I got to land a 10pounds brown in Patagonia with that weapon. Nothing bad.
    Very good rod for the cost as many other series from Cabelas.
    R.

I have the 9' 8wt. for bass bugging and it a good, strong rod. My preference is a slower action but it just takes a few casts to get used to it after using bamboo and it's a fine rod as far as I'm concerned. I also bought a Scierra 6wt. from Cabela's and god 1/2 price Medalist with it. It's a very good rod and I've used it on driftboats in water I didn't want to use my bamboo on. Used to live near a Cabela's and miss that easy access.

Quote Originally Posted by NJTroutbum View Post
    [snip]The proof will be in time I reckon. If it holds together as it appears it should....what a value.
    Odd you should say that because the reel seat falling off wasn't too uncommon a few years ago, but for the price, a good little rod in the smaller weights.

I've been fishing the Three Forks 3 wt for a number of years. The first one I owned was made in Korea, the guides were "funny looking" - odd shaped. The guys on the now defunct "flyfishing.com" board put me on to it.
    A friend asked me to help him get into fly fishing. On a camping trip I brought out the Three Forks 3 wt and told him he could have it, I took him to the water and tried to show him how to cast. As I was demonstrating the lift, snap, accelerate to a quick stop, form a loop scenario I realized I had made a huge mistake giving him that rod. Its the best casting $50 rod on the planet equal to or better than rods costing much more.

I bought another one which I still have and fish.

+ Reply to Thread