+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: New Cabela's Opening in Acworth, GA

Just a heads up to those getting new Cabela's stores these days: Most newer ones are different/smaller than the stores from years back. We got one here in Louisville within the last year or so and it's nice, but much smaller and less grandiose than the Dundee store, which I've been to a number of times. As one of the Cabela's execs explained before they opened here, prior to the economy tanking they regularly got tax incentives and other breaks that made the megastores very inexpensive for them to build. When municipal budgets all went underwater and developers and lenders lost their capacity to spend, Cabela's had to work out a different model, one where they were spending a lot more to open stores. The result was less square footage and less exotic/expensive decor. Still better than most anything else in any given area, but not the unique experience that some of the older, bigger stores are.

Quote Originally Posted by John_N View Post
    Just a heads up to those getting new Cabela's stores these days: Most newer ones are different/smaller than the stores from years back.
    This will be my first visit to a Cabela's. The Acworth store is 100,000 square feet, but I don't know how that compares to the others. I think our local Bass Pro is 130,000 square feet.

When I was working at a regular job and traveling around the country, I visited every Cabela's and BPS I could, a lot more BPS than Cabela's. I remember the KC Cabela's fly shop being better than the ATL BPS' shop; the Phoenix store fly shop no better and maybe not as good. Of the several stores I have visited from both brands, the Foxboro, MA BPS is the coolest store of them all, with the exception of the original BPS, which I did not have time to full explore. The Foxboro store is in the parking lot of the Patriot's stadium, so a great location and plenty of parking, but they have great displays inside. The displays feature fiberglass full size models of sharks and whales (42' long), wolves chasing deer packs and a birch bark canoe.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I Googled to see if I could find some information on the square footage of the old vs. new stores. Looks like Dundee is 225,000 sq. ft., whereas many of the new ones are sub-100,000. Here's an article from a local newspaper where they are building a new one, with some commentary from one of the Cabelas real estate guys: http://www.mlive.com/business/west-m...uilding_m.html

Quote Originally Posted by John_N View Post
    I Googled to see if I could find some information on the square footage of the old vs. new stores. Looks like Dundee is 225,000 sq. ft., whereas many of the new ones are sub-100,000. <snip>
    To put this into perspective, 225,000 sq. ft. is over 5 acres. Back in the '80s the Philippine government worked out plans for their model subsistence farm. It was 4.5 acres. The Dundee store was a great place to visit and I liked it. It's just that after years of mail-order business, I had expected a better fly-tying section. I want to say again that the customer service there and the knowledge level of their employees was excellent.

Regards,
    Ed

Blog Entries

I find that the stores (Cabella's) vary, depending on location, as to the floor space devoted to particular hunting/fishing local interests.

For example, the one in Minnesota that I visited had much less fly fishing goods than the one I visited near the Wyoming border.

I once went to the original retail store in downtown Sidney. Quite a success story for a business begun in his basement.

Wish we had one here in Vermont!!!!!!!! Went to the one in Ann Arbor Michigan and the tying section was amazing!!! and the 3 guys working it were really helpful. All we have is Dicks sporting goods and it leaves much to be desired!!!!!!!

When I went to pick up my grand daughter for the summer we stopped at the Bass Pro in Auburn, NY and the fly tying section sucked!!! More walk space than there was stuff in it!!

Fatman;
    There is no Cabela's in Ann Arbor, MI! It's several miles South in Dundee, MI!

Blog Entries

Actually, I am surprised at the massive expansion of Cabela's and also the bass stores. I remember, hear the dinosaurs roar, when Herter's was THE company to buy fishing and camping equipment from and it was all mail order except for the lucky people who lived near their one and only store. Then they decided to expand and they started building a number of stores, even one out here in WA. That was just before they went bankrupt and closed. I hope that doesn't happen to these companies today. But, again, I am surprised at the expansion especially with all of the internet sales going on now days. More power to them if they can keep going.

Larry ---sagefisher---

The "Chili in a bread bowl" alone is worth the trip.

+ Reply to Thread