+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Is there such a thing for under wader wear?

In the summer, whether I wet wade, wear hip boots or waders, I wear a pair of nylon quick drying convertable pants. That way on the drive home, I just zip the legs off and wear them a shorts.

I'll wear the same pants in the spring and fall, only with poly pro long johns underneath.

Dave
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Those are what I've been wearing in the summer too Dave, and they are absolutely the ticket for wet wading. Quick drying and easy to zip of the wettest bottom half for the drive home. Problem is, for me at least, they're just kind of clammy underneath waders. I'm not sure why the difference, but I'm getting the impression that polyester (like in the Capilene, WaderWick, etc.) performs much different and better in terms of wicking than nylon. I'm thinking some polyester wicking pants like the kind used for for running, training or other sports might fit the bill when I know I'm going to need waders and it's not cold enough for the other stuff that I mentioned. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by James Smith View Post
    How about some of the convertible pants that zip off into shorts? They're made out of light weight nylon intended to keep you cool.
    Just a thought...

Jim Smith
    Jim,

That's something I've tried but, when you get into water where the zipper line is below the water line, the pressure pushes the zipper against your skin. Not at all comfortable. Maybe those same weight pants in a 'one piece'?

Allan

Quote Originally Posted by garthman View Post
    i use light weight capilene long john bottoms, and throw a pair of exercise shorts over them for the trip to and from the put in.
    This is your answer. You can substitute quick drying shorts instead of the exercise shorts.

Pretty much just wading shorts under the waders.

Two kinds I wear.

Orvis Jackson pants were made for exactly what you are describing - they are quite comfortable and they look good enough to stop at a diner or family restaruant - so you won't scare any mothers or little kids! LOL
    http://www.orvis.com/p/quick-dry-jackson-pants/2c0as

The other type are the zip off convert to shorts. Mine are Columbia and they are great.

Call me ignorant because I've only been doing this for 40 years or so, but if it is warm enough to wet wade, why wear long pants?

As for pants under waders, again, if it is going to be warm enough to be uncomfortable in waders, it is warm enough to wet wade. If it is some issue of "stuff" being in the water that I don't want against my skin, then I'm not going to fish that water anyhow. Maybe some of the beaver ponds I used to fish in Maine which had the great big leeches.... but was usually in a canoe.

Normally under my waders I wear some some thin fleece pants, pretty much like pajama pants. I've got some with little fish print on them, and some with little moose print on them! Not going to a fancy restaraunt after fishing, and even if I was, who cares?
    To the simpleton, proof does not matter once emotion takes hold of an issue.

I think it's safe to say some things have gotten lost in the translation, no doubt due to some flaws with how I worded my original question. In any event, thanks to all for the responses. I've come up with what I think will be a solution for what I was trying to describe, and we can consider this closed.

I have been using these, in hot weather, under my Simms ...works for me if I'm not wet wading:

http://www.patagonia.com/us/shop/men...ne1?k=1D-6M-aE

PT/TB
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

+ Reply to Thread