+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arrick tying an X2-Caddis

Blog Entries

Default Arrick tying an X2-Caddis

All videos posted are meant as "teaching" tools, it would seem to me anyway.

In most videos in which a trailing shuck is used, the "instructor" makes two cuts: the first to cut the shuck to desired length....the second to remove the remainder of the strand of material from the hook shank.

A great production type tier like Arrick makes only the second cut.

The length of the shuck is determined at the time of tie down, thus eliminating one step in the tying.

Here's a link to the X2-Caddis video.

http://youtu.be/UG081P-CJAM

AlanB Guest

I do the same in reverse. The length I don't have to cut is the length that is being tied in. That way it reduces waste. Currently tying Mongolian midges that use floss for a base for a stacked hackle. The piece of floss I cut will tie 6. On each the floss is only trimmed once, after tying down the stacked hackle. The Length that is cut off is tied in directly, the right length, on the next.

Economy of material and effort are the watch words of production tying.

Cheers,
    A.

Yup, AlanB's method makes more sense...and I'm not saying that, just because I do it the same way (grin). Arrick does quite a few things that I do not, but that does not make him any less a tier (nor me, any greater a one for that matter).

Blog Entries

Arrick and AlanB achieve the same results: one cut step. Most videos I watch cut twice.
    Wonder why the others who offer videos don't use one cut instead of two. They must know their videos are teaching tools.

One of my favorite tiers of all - Bucky McCormick of Blue Ribbon Flies tying the X2-Caddis with the two step shuck trim.....
    I think, may be wrong about this, but, I think Blue Ribbon originated the X2???
    Tied sans underwing.......

http://youtu.be/wNhLMaU6PCA
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 08-05-2014 at 11:27 PM.

I have been in the shop several times, nice assortment of flies and materials. Especially like the full skeins of chenille. One thing I noticed is he doesn't hold his scissors in his hand while tying. Seems to be something some tiers do and others don't. Personally I like the speed and use the scissors to guide the thread while I whip finish by hand.
    Gene

Blog Entries

Gene,
    Been there recently?
    Was there last month. He is now really organized. All his products are on coded inventory tags. His website is really expanded for internet sales too. His place is so organized now!!

One thing I noticed on the Blue Ribbon video, he wasted as much Zelon as he used, actually more it appeared. Many tyers waste materials like they are free, which they may be to them or is a trick to sell more materials by teaching wasteful practices?
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Blog Entries

My guess is that most tiers do the same.

Blog Entries

The folks at "In The Riffle" make a series of cuts to the shuck on this fly as they feel it looks more natural if it is shaggy or uneven.

Sorta like this

AlanB Guest

If you want a staggered cut. Tie the shuck in as normal on the first fly. Decide on the minimum and maximum sizes of your shuck. Grip the excess material just beyond the maximum size, and pull slightly. Open your scissors and grip one blade. Place cutting edge of one of the blades on the shuck material. Move it back and forth along the material until it has cut through. On the next fly tie in the shuck so the already tapered end forms the shuck. Trim off the excess with a straight cut. This works for tapering any yarn for wing or tail.

All videos posted are meant as "teaching" tools...

...or is a trick to sell more materials by teaching wasteful practices?
    I don't know if it is the same in the US but to teach here requires two qualifications. One in the subject you are teaching, at, at least, two levels above the level you are teaching, and a teaching qualification. I would say that most videos are showing someone's method, not teaching. Could anyone produce course outline and lesson preps for their video? Do any consider the watcher's learning style? While they may be aids to teaching, they are not teaching itself. I would / do consider banning my students from watching You Tube tying videos for at least the first half of a basic course. If I don't I can spend half the lessons explaining why we do not do it like Joe Blogs on You Tube.

It was a few years ago when I took a teaching qualification, and I'm currently working through another (UKCC). There is, here in Scotland, a formal qualification in game angling, which contains a section on fly tying. I do not hold that qualification, but I did write the fly tying syllabus for it. That is why I despair at the things people are using to learn. They are all information, nothing more, some of it good some of it bad. Watching a random series of tying videos off the net will teach you as many bad habits as good ones. The only tier who's videos I would recommend without hesitation are Hans'.

Sorry if that is a bit of a rant, but I'm sick of seeing, and trying to explain, poor tying methods. Before all these videos were available I raged against the quote, "A badly tied fly will often catch more fish than a neat one". Rubbish! A scruffy looking fly will often catch more fish, a badly tied one falls apart before catching any number of fish.

Cheers,
    A.
    Last edited by AlanB; 08-06-2014 at 06:41 AM.

+ Reply to Thread