+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jack's Rod and Fly Shop

Default Jack's Rod and Fly Shop

Thank you Mr. Travis for a well-written remembrance of the "Flyshop". We, too, had to stop in, buy some flies and watch Ann tie her creations every time we made a pilgrimage to the Au Sable. We always made time to listen to some of his stories. BTW, I haven't seen another patch like that for years. Thanks again, for sharing.
    mcsteff

Back in 1995, there was a fly shop in Little Canda, Minnesota. It is no longer there, closing in 2000.

It was there that I learned how to tie flies, it was there I learned how to cast a fly rod properly (before attending my first FAOL Fish-In (1999), so I would not look too much like a idiot.

It was there that I built my first fly rod, using Al Campbell's "Building a Graphite Rod" for the instructions. I also had the help of 3 wonderful members of the staff, who answered my questions.

I would always stop by the "Fly Fishing Cabin" on the way home from work, usually apoligizing to my wife, for being late.

It is no more, and none of the other fly shops in the area, can ever replace the "Fly Fishing Cabin" or the help I recieved there.

So I truly understand, what is lost, when a very special Fly Shop, ceases to be! ~Parnelli

"...there are two distinct kinds of visits to tackle-shops, the visit to buy tackle and the visit which may be described as Platonic, when, being for some reason unable to fish, we look for an excuse to waste a takcle dealer's time."

Arthur Ransom "On Tackle Shops" Rod and Line (1929)

Mr. Travis - I am no literature expert, but I just wanted you to know how much I have enjoyed your past two articles! Well done! Have you done any other writing? - A Fan

Once again, a very readable and enjoyable piece. Brings back many memories of fly shops past.

We have been fortunate to find one nearby thats always good for a cup of coffee, some stream info, pleasant chit chat and all the goodies you might need. We seldom spend less than $50 each time we go there, or pass less than a very pleasant hour in conversation.
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Blog Entries

I was at the local fly shop this afternoon, I think the difference is it is shoping like it used to be everywere.

A sales staff that cares, Helpful suggestions and tips. A feeling that they want your buisiness.

None of the wallyworld, its over there on Isle 32 If you can find someone to talk to you.

Thanks for a great Article

Eric

------------------
    Tis bettter to have hooked and lost, than never hooked at all.
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

I like the fly shop where you have to step over the sleeping lab in the doorway to enter. There are two smells wafting in the shop...coffee and musty flies. Everything in sight is meant to be picked up and touched, fondered and whipped around in the air. A remark "If you like that one, wait till you try this one" is the norm when handling a fly rod...."Watch the store, I have to go in the back for a minute" is also a mundain normality at any given moment. I don't have change for a hundred, pay me next trip can be considered a genuine compliment and really means something. Thanks for the fly purchase, and try a couple of these too and let me know what you think pal. Memories.

------------------
    I learn more about the world while talking to myself when fishing alone

[This message has been edited by Jonezee (edited 12 June 2006).]

Neil,
    Last year, a trip was made by me, Jack Hise, Brad Sherrick (Kaboom1), & young Mike Murgida to Chris Helms' Whitetail Flytieing Shop in the basement of his home in the Toledo OH area. His wife greeted us & as soon as we hit the basement stairs, we could smell "that aroma". Chris was, of course, tying & interrupted that to serve & visit. He gave young Mike a pretty good sized bag of material & I've seen Chris at many shows...he is very special in his treatment of youngsters, & that alone, IMO, adds to his stature. Thanks for reminding many, if not all of us, of a special place.
    Mike

------------------
    You can call me Mike & you can call me Mikey..Just remember that this site's about sharing!
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

I loved the article but in truth it made me very sad. Growing up in the country here in Texas I've always had a soft spot for the small businessman. I would love to own my own business, some small place where everyone feels at home, but I know in today's times it's almost impossible.

I will however, in my own way, make a statement of sort. It's in how I spend my money. When I find one of those places, no matter what they are selling, I will find something to spend some money on. It's my little way of keeping a tradition.

I encourage each of you to support your local small businessmen and women, and when possible buy American!

Wonderful nostalgic article. As a kid, I was in Roscommon in the 60's, but oblivious. Sorry I missed it. Thanks for this chance, at least, to visit.

Kat

+ Reply to Thread