+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The "Vise Device"

Blog Entries

Default The "Vise Device"

Guy by the name of Brad came up with this little adapter to convert the a Regal vise into true rotary.
    He got into quite a battle with the maker of the Regal that there was talk of lawsuits!
    And, the Regal company said using it would negate the warranty.
    Brad finally came up with his own "Concorde" vise , similar to, but different from the Regal.

T
    he "Concorde" Vise
    It comes with an aluminum weighted base which is somewhere I can't find right now.

Last edited by Byron haugh; 07-17-2014 at 11:16 PM.

Careful there Byron, we all know you have an addiction. But, it has been for the good stuff from reputable manufacturers. You start messing with stuff off the street and you don't know what you will get into. Next thing you will be drink rot-gut and chasing taimen in Mongolia.

That is nicely machined part, I would like to see the full assembly with the stand and jaws.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

Blog Entries

Addictions show no favoritism on suppliers.......

Jesse,
    The top photo is the device. You attach your Regal vise head to it and the black nut to your a Regal vise stem and you have a true rotary a Regal.
    Last edited by Byron haugh; 07-18-2014 at 01:04 AM.

Nice clean looking vise. I like the finish too.

AlanB Guest

That's a sleek looking vice Byron. A couple of questions. Hope you don't mind me butchering your photo, but it was easier than trying to describe what I am talking about.
    Byron's vice.jpg
    Is "A" the bottom of a screw holding the jaws together? Is the mark at "B" the continuation of the split in the jaws, or are the jaws made in 1 piece?

Cheers,
    A.

Wouln't that be a rotary vise instead of a "TRUE Rotary Vise"? Regal already has a Rotary vise but not a True Roatary vise like the Dyna-King Barracuda and the Renzetti 3000 - Master line. A rotary vise is one that can spin like your nice looking vise or a Regal or my HMH and so on. A True Rotary vise is one that keeps the hook in it's axis at all times and allows the hook to rotate evently without wobble or leaving it's axis or center line. So I could see how regal might be a little peaved about this. It does look like a knock off Regal, don't you think????

Blog Entries

Font,
    Again, the top photo , when connected to a Regal head and stem, will convert the Regal to true/near true rotary. Note the "offset" nature of the device.

Oddly, when he made the Concorde, he did not make it with that attachment so that it too would be true rotary.

Again, the head of Regal was upset about the attachment device which would make the regal true rotary. Brad's Concorde came after the two had their battles. There were articles/letters to the editor in a Fly a Fisherman magazine which laid out their positions back in the late 80's or early 90 's.

AlanB,
    The jaws are one piece. The first screw is to hold the handle in place. The second screw allows for adjusting the tension of the jaws.
    The vise also offered a smaller "midge" set of jaws.

Last edited by Byron haugh; 07-18-2014 at 07:52 PM.

Hi Bryon, I hear ya on that. Just keep in mond I have seen to many issues over a vise designed differrently than company X and company X has a hissy fit because the vise looks a tad like theirs when you first look at it. To me I do not care as long as the vise works, holds the hooks securely and is reliable and easy to use with minmal adjustments. That is what really matters to me and any other tyer's at the end of the day.

Some people reading this thread may not be aware that the original Regal vise [that was sold for many years before the current Medallion model] only offered head angle adjustment; there was no means to rotate the head. The Vise Device conversion made 360? rotation possible.

The Concorde vise shown has some visual, though not functional, similarity to the Muskoka MagnaVise.

Blog Entries

Busy,
    Speaking of the Magnavise, what do you think it offers compared to a Regal?

+ Reply to Thread