+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Guide breaks my rod, and then loses it... what do I do now?

Why am I getting the feeling that the "boss", the fly shop owner, has no idea any of this is going on? The longer this goes on, not hearing from the owner of the flyfishing shop, the more I wonder .... is the "guide" trying to conceal all of this in a CYA?
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I am done with guides. For the last 50 years I have never had a guide that earned his fee. Sorry to guide members here, yes, I know it's not a perfect world and you work hard for a living but my luck with them has been so terrible I've sworn off of them forever. I'd rather rent a boat and fish blind on my own than pay $600 for a bad experience. From the Keys to the high Rockies I've found enough info, fishing tips, maps, pattern suggestions, etc. to manage a successful trip on many occasions. Okay, I owe Dragonfly Anglers in Crested Butte an apology, because in 0 degree temps and -15 wind chill they guided me onto the biggest trout of my life.
    "So many people are out there doing things they call environmentalism, but only because it's politically correct or has a lot of cache."

Default Final results are in...

Literally hot off the press. Guide called me in tandem with T&T.

Guide did not insure the package and UPS will not claim liability. UPS will only offer $100 reimbursement. T&T offered the Guide to repurchase the rod at a professional discount which still comes out to ~ $480 I think.

Guide said he couldn't afford the new rod even at the discounted price. Instead, he's asked me to accept 2 nights stay and 2 guided trips next season for free.

Thoughts? Opinions?
    Last edited by qbv; 07-02-2014 at 04:42 PM. Reason: spelling

You're right. Guide can't afford to do the right thing...

Quote Originally Posted by billhouk View Post
    I have been a member of the Better For Business Bureau several times over the past 40 years. Good luck but It Is not a consumer protection agency It Is a business networking society. Did you sign a release before going out with this guide? If you did, you may not have recourse to court action. Negligence would be very hard to prove over an Inherent risk of fishing. See this example of a release http://www.boatus.com/Angler/guide_liability_waiver.asp

Also, depending on the state you may not have any recourse at all since there is implied risk... Just checked and Michigan requires licensed guides to have "general liability" insurance. It maybe time to contact Michigan DNR.

Having said this I can only assume the guy is a jerk or cannot afford to do the right thing.

I would go to the lodge manager as many others have advised. If the guide has offered you 2 night's lodging and guiding service for NEXT season, I would not count on him being there to fulfill this deal. You want the rod to be able to fish THIS season. Bird in the hand...

Ted

When a person, who is suppose to be in business with the general public and offering a service, tries to swap out their service for a debt they owe, they are not worth doing anymore business with. Since he stated he could not afford the $480, ask him what he can afford to give you in cash and add the $100 that UPS is offering to that and then "cut your losses" and move on. I think you are "beating a dead horse" here. This has gone too far and it is now time to take whatever you can get and run.

Just my opinion.......
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I've been following this thread and I'm not sure why you haven't contacted the lodge.If they provided such good service they would want to know how their guides are treating clientsbecause it can impact on their business. the guide you dealt with is the kind that give other guides a bad name.They don't want him around either. the first guide I ever had was a disaster and a pathological liar. Guides I had in Iceland last summer were great. I let the original one know how I felt and cut the trip short and tipped the Icelandic guide generously.But I agree with Warren, it's time to put an end to this
    Good luck.
    Steve
    it's all good drifts

I think it really is time to get the lodge involved here. If his job is on the line the guide may be able to afford a replacement rod after all or they may loan him the money against future earnings. There is no reason that you should take more of a loss on this matter. A disappointing trip was bad enough.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

As my Mother used to say, "Not on a youdamnbetcha!" would I accept that solution! You'll do what you feel necessary to do, but, mercy, this stinks! Talk to the owner, start posting names and agencies, do what ever it takes to end this with you getting a replacement/SAME rod as HE destroyed. The heck with collecting some funds here-some funds there! THAT owner needs to step up and make it RIGHT! And, in a time frame that would be, IMMEDIATELY IF NOT SOONER!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

gbv,

As others have stated this has gone on far too long and now the truth has come out.You need to involve the lodge manager ASAP.If the guide has offered two nights at the lodge and two guided trips then my guess is the lodge has had some involvement with the guide regarding the situation.I would be on the phone to the lodge as soon as feasible and have a very frank discussion of your expectations.My guess is the $480 replacement cost of the rod is short money to thelodge in view of the loss of future earnings from you and other anglers.I know you've been extremely reluctant to divulge the name of the lodge and guide but the time for that is passed so let the public shaming begin.
    Brian
    "My father was very sure about certain matters pertaining to the universe. To him, all good things - trout as well as eternal salvation - come by grace and grace comes by art and art does not come easy." Norman Maclean, A River Runs Through It

+ Reply to Thread