+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Help on a Possible Tennessee Trip in Early July

6286 Birch Valley Dr, San Antonio, TX 78242

Default Help on a Possible Tennessee Trip in Early July

While at work on Saturday, I was informed that my presence was requested in Murfreesboro, TN on the 8th of July. As this trip is still in the works, I am not sure if I will be going or for how long, possible just overnight, arrive Monday and leave Tuesday. If possible, I would like to gather some information on where would be a good place to go fishing for an hour or two during my stay. I'm also looking for recommendations on what flies to bring.

Thanks in advance,
    Javier
    Last edited by Captain_Mortis; 06-30-2014 at 03:09 PM.

Javier;
    You might check out the "Stones" River. It has some access points in Murfreesboro. If you are here more than one day I'd be glad to introduce you to the Duck River. As far as fly's I'd go wet. Hare's ears, Wooly Buggers, etc.

Javier,
    I agree with Jack about the Stones River. The Stones River is dammed downstream, in Davidson County, to form J. Percy Priest Lake. That lake is about 14,000 acres. The size of the lake means that there can be some large fish in the fairly small river. There are some fairly deep holes in the Stones River so be careful if you wade. If you can bring waders, which would be good because this has been a bad year for ticks and fleas. Also, waders often let you avoid grief from poison ivy. You will need to keep your eyes open for snakes. I'm not trying to dissuade you, just let you know what to avoid. Forewarned is forearmed, but there are some very good fish in the Stones. Perhaps someone else can tell which flies are working. In lieu of any other help, I would suggest minnow patterns, woolly buggers, and terrestrials. Crayfish patterns and poppers might also perform.

Regards and good luck,
    Ed

The Stone's River would be the closest river for you to fly fish in Murfreesboro since it runs through Murfreesboro. The only question I have for you is what species of fish are you hoping to fish for? If it is trout, I am not sure the Stone's River is where you want to go. I am thinking the Stone's River is more of a warm water stream and if it is not, I am sure someone here will correct me.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

What I used to do when I could roll a good fishing trip into a business trip was check airline prices. It used to be (haven't done much flying lately) that by leaving on Saturday, the price saving was enough to justify an extra night's hotel, meals and car. You are on the job bright and early with no one having to wait for you to arrive from S.A. on the noon flight. Good business and good fun, at least that is the way I told the boss.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

The Stones is a warm water river.

Ed

6286 Birch Valley Dr, San Antonio, TX 78242

Thanks for all the good information, unfortunately there are two snags with this trip. Found out yesterday morning that I would be flying in and out on Tuesday, and then in the afternoon, the trip was cancelled due to lack of material. I will keep this information for when I do go to Tennessee.

Ed_D, I don't own waders as the only use here in San Antonio is for protection from thorns, fleas and ticks, jeans normally suffice and the weather doesn't get very cold. I normally wear shorts and sandles when I do my yearly Christmas morning fishing.

WarrenP, all we have here is warm water unless I take the time to plan out a trip the Guadalupe River which is the only cold water river near enough for a day trip, and that is due to a man made reservoir, and I fish for what whatever bites, normally gills and bass.

Uncle Jesse, I have attempted to get trips done in that method but the company wont play along. Plus, most of my trips are planned with one or two days notice, gotta love the automotive industry.

Once again, thanks for all the information,
    Javier

Javier,

Now that I know more on what you are looking for, I will be able to provide more info when and if your company does send you this way. There are a couple places I have in mind and, if my time permits it, I would be able to meet you and show you some water. Do stay in touch and keep us "in the loop" for the future. Have a great 4th of July!
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

+ Reply to Thread