+ Reply to Thread

Thread: BugMyster ?

Default BugMyster ?

Attractor dry fly anyone now this pattern that would share BugMyster ?

Blog Entries

The second link has far better techniques IMO&E... The long run of hackle from the base of the post to the eye not only looks bad, but exposes the weakest link in fly durability to the most abuse.

Building your body shape with dubbing is not the way to create durable flies, either. It was almost painful to watch the video in the first link...

I guess I am getting old and grumpy...
    art

hap,

It is hard to argue with the quality of the SBS posts that ScottP does.

Regards,
    Ed

Blog Entries

Thanks for pointing out ScottP's work! I had not noticed the poster. And yes, he does a very good job.

Being old and grumpy the only thing I do differently on parachutes is tying in the hackle horizontal off the shank rather than vertical. That hard 90 bend at the top is a frequent cause of problems in getting the hackle to wrap properly. By tying it in flat the first wrap is a short spiral and each wrap then goes under it. I tie off on the post just like ScottP describes. But it is a minor point.

I suspect that would be a great indicator fly for large grayling up here...

Art,

I find that if I trim the barbs off the stem far enough that it's bare above the post, it's easier to manage (not the best shot, but you can see that there aren't any barbs directly above the top of the thread post).

Depending on the hackle, sometimes it may want to go clockwise, sometimes counter; I'll take a test wrap to see which way it prefers, back it off then position the bobbin so it's in the proper position to tie it off at the base of the post.

Regards,
    Scott

I wrap the hackle in the direction that the thread torque will tighten rather than loosen said hackle on the tie off.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ScottP View Post
    Art,

I find that if I trim the barbs off the stem far enough that it's bare above the post, it's easier to manage (not the best shot, but you can see that there aren't any barbs directly above the top of the thread post).

Depending on the hackle, sometimes it may want to go clockwise, sometimes counter; I'll take a test wrap to see which way it prefers, back it off then position the bobbin so it's in the proper position to tie it off at the base of the post.

Regards,
    Scott
    Scott
    I understand what you are saying, perfectly and certainly am not calling it "wrong" in any way. When tied at the base, on the shank, it always wraps just fine and as an old (and former) production tier the option of having the hackle not wrap perfectly every time was not there. The quick spiral up the post and the wraps underneath are always the same. And hackle sometimes breaks... Mild bends are easier on the hackle than a hard 90.

In honesty I do realize I should have just kept my mouth shut!

It is a very good looking pattern and a very well done SBS...
    art

Art,

I may have to give yours a try; always looking for ways to speed things up. By the way, the day you're not allowed to voice your opinion is the day I leave; comments and criticism are always appreciated.

Regards,
    Scott

+ Reply to Thread