+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: your opinions please

Default your opinions please

I've planned to launch my own website this summer. Subject: step-by-step patterns in pictures.

Of course I can show the s-b-s in separate photos with a text description under each photo, but I can also offer them as movies.
    This is such a movie:

My question is: which would you prefer?
    Thanks!
    Mart

Okay, since you ask: I prefer the movie style. One question about the method you use to set up the parachute post. What type of gallows tool are you using?

Allan

Mart,
    Since your video is a series of still shots, you might as well do s-b-s articles. However, doing videos such as you did will allow you to post to YouTube, should you so desire. I so, then slow down the rate at which you change scenes so people can read everything and think for a moment.

Regards,
    Ed

You knew you were going to get different opinions.
    I prefer the separate photo presentation. With the video, the viewer can only watch at the pace of the video. With separate photos, I find it more convenient to spend more time on the photos I want to examine more closely and to move back and forth between photos.

Nicely tied fly.
    Thanks,
    Ted

Thanks!
    My tool is quite low-tech: a 2 mm thick, 3" long piece of elastic cord with two barbless size 6 scud hooks on either end. One hook grabs the doubled poly post, the other one hooks into a height-adjustable desk lamp above my vise.
    Mart

Thanks Ed and Ted! Yes, I noticed that some shots need more time to read the text. I also noticed that the still shots are sharper and crisper than the video images.
    Mart

Guys,

You do know that on youtube you can pause the video at any point?

Allan,
    I think we know that, but if the video is streaming I am inclined to sit back and watch it and don't want to have to stop something and then restart and maybe back up several times in a short video. It breaks the flow of video vs s-b-s.

Regards,
    Ed

AlanB Guest

One problem I have found with teaching fly tying is people want to be doing not watching. When the instructor starts to demo you will find the students start tying before the demo ends. The answer to this is to get them away from their vices. The video is good to give the overall demonstration of the fly. The photo sequence is the part which replaces the instructor walking around the class while the students tie, helping where needed.

In short I think they both have their place. They provide different things and cover more of the "learning gates" to use an educationalist's term. If you can do both.

I like your simple gallows tool. When I first started I used something similar. A length of string pinned into the ceiling with elastic on the end and a wire hook.

Cheers,
    A.

Mart,

Beautiful fly and photography. Doing it as a movie, you don't have to deal with the 10 pic per post limit, which is real nice. Can't wait to see your site up and running.

Regards,
    Scott

+ Reply to Thread