+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Anyone built a boat?

Default Anyone built a boat?

I am getting ready to try my hand at it. I will be building [url=http://www.butlerprojects.com/boats/john/index.htm:1aced]this[/url:1aced], in a 12 foot version (8 footer pictured). It is a stitch and glue design. I have been researching materals, and I think I can keep it under $300. Any comments or advice?

[This message has been edited by Sagittarius62 (edited 06 June 2006).]

Haven't built that one myself, but I have heard good things about Butler plans. Several of the guys here have built boats, Roger Stouff comes to mind. Maybe they'll jump in here and give you more info.

[This message has been edited by Ron Eagle Elk (edited 15 June 2006).]
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

I'm working on finishing my third boat and the one thing I can tell you(or anyone building a boat) is that it ALWAYS winds up costing more than you figured. Also, better quality wood saves on both epoxy and sanding(the worst but most important part). Take your time and wear a respirator when sanding and it'll go fine. Good luck and have fun.

You do not read FAOL regularly? Lots on here. Surprised you missed all of them. Last week featured on the MAIN PAGE!

A few years back I built a Snowshoe 16 from a kit found in this site. [url=http://www.gaboats.com/boats/:41c2b]http://www.gaboats.com/boats/[/url:41c2b]
    16 foot, made to haul in a weeks gear for two. Design weight is 35 pounds, but mine probably weighs a bit more because I opted to build traditional cane ( synthetic) seats framed in ash. It is basicly a basket work of 3/8" spruce stringers which run end to end and bent ash ribs 1/4 X 5/8", all spaced in a gridwork of about 6". Kevlar yarn is srtung over the outside from gunal to gunal on the diagonal again about 6" apart . The skin is aircraft dacron which shrinks when ironed. Makes for a truely drum tight skin stretched over a strong but light basket frame.
    Kit cost something like $125 and included everything except the wood and about $4 in brass wood screws I chose to use on the keel and rub rails and two quarts of urethane varnish. Wood -- one 16 foot 2X10 from the local lumberyard. I picked through the stock for a knot free and straight grain board. The ash should have cost something like $50 but a couple of the lads down at a small local mill were so excited by the project that they just gave me my pick of some 6" ash flooring.
    I have had it loaded as heavy 500 Lbs. ( estimated) and still had 10 " of freeboard.
    I once put a nice finger sized hole in it with a 20d dock nail,6" of masking tape ( THE basic repair kit) and it was fine for a whole week of hard use.
    With just my 250 Lbs it only draws 3 or 4 inches and rocks too much for my liking but it just doesn't want to tip far enough to swamp.
    You will see quite a few other boat plans on this site. Even if you never build one it is an interesting design.
    AgMD

I've built (and repaired!) DN ice boats. Since you're researching materials, Google up Gougeon Brothers in Bay City. Their W.E.S.T. epoxy system is good stuff plus they have tons of plans, how-to's and hints for working with wood in a marine environment.

Yes, everyone I speak to says W.E.S.T Systems stuff is the best. There is apparently a E.A.S.T Systms line as well, that is a little less expensive? Thanks for the Gougeon Brothers tip.

W.E.S.T. = Wood Epoxy Saturation Technique

I ain't fer sure what E.A.S.T. would stand for!

[url=http://www.noahsmarine.com/United_States/Epoxies-us/East_System-us/east_system-us.html:20769]E.A.S.T System Epoxy[/url:20769]

I built a 14 foot duck boat that weighted in at 50 pounds, using heavy canvas for the hull covering, coated with Airplane Wing Dope (Paint for sealing cavas wings, and fuselages). Might not be up to standards for White Water, but they are great for ponds and other areas where you need a draft of 4 inches in places. It can be pulled or padded with and oar, with little effort.

I got the blueprints at the local library, the book was printed in 1938. Built it with only hand tools, although I did have the lumberyard cut the piece to size for assembly.

I think you could do the same pattern using a fiberglass matting, but that would add a lot more weight to the hull. I like my 50 pound 14 foot Canvas Duck Boat for fishing.

I have tie downs on the interior sides so things do not come loose. and I have enough floatation, in the bow and stern (double ended) besides more under the floorboards and it between the frames forming the hull sides to keep the boat afloat if the hull is breached. As always wear a personnel floating devise, any time you are on the water, (that includes standing in it). ~Parnelli

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 07 June 2006).]

+ Reply to Thread