+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mallard Flank Pains

Default Mallard Flank Pains

I've only been tying flies for several months. When I can, I try to always use Wood Duck flanks for my wings. But I have major trouble when substituting Mallard flank feathers. Even though I bought some name brands, the feathers are so curved and the tips are so ragged and uneven and wimpy when doing my cross wraps that I hate to use them. Would Teal be a better substitute than Mallard? Does anyone else have this problem??

Thank you.

AlanB Guest

It sounds like the feathers you have are the very small ones. The ones you want are similar in size to the Wood Duck. he best way to get hold of them is from someone who shoots. If you do secure a supply from a shooter (ducks are not "Hunted"), don't forget to get the bronze feathers and wings are also very useful. There are only around a dozen good bronze feathers on a mallard. Many of the commercial packs contain mostly small feathers. If you do need to buy them then take a look at Cookshill Fly Tying. It may take you a little longer to get them, but what Steve sends you will be right.

Teal could be used, but the same problem of small feathers exists there as well. Also the colour will be much starker.

Steaming the feathers may enable you to straighten them a little. If the ends are ragged, though, they may not be worth the effort.

When I started to read your post I was confused, wondering what kinds of wing you were having trouble with. Until I came to "cross wraps" my thought was wet fly wings, which is the first thing I would consider duck flank for.

A while back I was asked to tie an order of a fly that has a front hackle of dyed green teal. For once I would be happy to get a pack of the small feathers that are usually put into those packs. Instead what arrived was a pack of really nice large feathers. It meant I was having to discard more of each feather than I used. One problem I did have though, was the size of the pack mangled the feathers. I had to steam them before I could use them, and put what was left of them in a larger bag.

Hope you get some help out of that.
    Cheers,
    A.

riverdep,
    I'm right there with you. I'm a big fan of the Stayner Ducktail (see "Stayner Ducktail in the FOTW section). I think it is the best warm water fly I've ever used and I use (as suggested) mallard flank for the wing. I have bought bags of the feathers before and have only been able to use a couple out of the entire bag because of the curve in the feathers. As Alan said, steaming may help a little, but when the central stem is curved it doesn't help too much. I have bought bags of teal but they sometimes aren't too much better. I'm no help in this for you but I hope you get a good answer.

Joe

Sorry to say that the flank feather of the mallard cannot compare with the flank feather of the wood duck in quality, beauty, strength, and evenness of the tips. If you have to use mallard you just have to deal with those faults.
    riverdeep - I too hate mallard for those same reasons. Contact me with a PM. Include your mailing addy and I'll send you some woody flank. I've a lot.

Allan

Riverdep,

What Allan said is true; mallard just isn't as nice as woodie.

Questions though.... Assuming you're just using one feather to make the wing, are you cutting the stem from the tip you're using? If not, do so.
    Are you just cross wrapping? If so, you might want to consider also doing figure-8 wraps or posting each wing.

-Steven

Quote Originally Posted by AlanB View Post
    secure a supply from a shooter (ducks are not "Hunted")
    A.
    OK, I'll bite.... Why are ducks not "hunted"??? And what is?
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

AlanB Guest

Hunting is the pursuing of game usually with hounds. If it involves a gun its "shooting", or "stalking" (usually larger game such as deer, though they have historically been hunted as well).
    Cheers,
    A

Alan, you're trying to get us to speak English.

Regards,
    Ed

AlanB Guest

Yup!

"... two nations divided by a common language" (probably) G.B. Shaw

Cheers,
    A.

Getting back on the track I'd like to add that actual "steam ironing" really helps'
    I wet the longer feathers for a streamer, place it concave side down on the board, press a hot iron down on it as I slowly pull the feather out from under the iron by its stem by pulling upward. It is bothersome but it works.
    The steam bending process is like that used in steaming the ribs on a wooden canoe.

+ Reply to Thread