+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Weird fish; any ideas?

The only thing I can think of is some kind of gold fish or koi that has bulging eyes. Being you were fishing an urban lake it may be a pet that somebody got tired of. Failing that you could try dynamite and depth charge the critter.

Blog Entries

Looks like a Catfish of some sort. or teenage mutant ninja pike,

Blog Entries

Looks like a great reason to make a long study of the area in question, naturally that would require many hours of observing the water, like while you are fishing

If I lived near you I would volunteer to help out in the study.

Larry ---sagefisher---

It might be a fish called a Northern Hog Sucker. I tried to put in a link but copy and paste is not working tonight. They appear to have a broad head.

Blog Entries

I suspect it could be a member of the Waterdog or Mudpuppy family of amphibian salamanders. Just a thought.

Larry ---sagefisher---

http://animals.nationalgeographic.co...ians/mudpuppy/

Hog nose suckerPA220013.jpg

Maybe this link to the Northern Hog Sucker will work: http://www.roughfish.com/northern-hogsucker
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by CharlaineC View Post
    Looks like a Catfish of some sort.
    +1 This was my first thought as well. However, I also think the post above about the bug eyed koi may be correct as well. Seen from the back and in natural waters (i.e. not too clear, not like in a fish tank), I guess they could look like hammerhead shaped fish (clear water in a tank, as I have always seen them, you can't mistake them).

Now, if the OP had said they had seen this fish in Colorado, well ...

Paul
    Last edited by Gandalf; 05-06-2014 at 04:09 PM.

Or maybe a pickerel that tried to eat a trolling motor?

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Jesse View Post
    I suspect HRH has been hiding this for year, but now it's finally out. Kansas has hammerhead bluegills!!!
    Uncle Jesse, I think we have a winner!!!

After years of hearing the citizens (denizens?) of the Island Nation of Ohio bragging about their Salt Water Bluegills, Swamp Witch Betty has decided to brew up some Hammerhead Bluegills to eat their Salt Water Bluegills and grow to epic sizes. Soon she'll be flooding Lake Erie with HBs which, after wiping out the competition, will use their homing instinct to bring them back to Kansas where the local Swamp Witch population will catch them with dry flies. The Kansas Swamp Witches will then deny the existence of Hammerhead Bluegills. Eventually an episode of River Monsters will look for them, but given the dangerous nature of the quarry, he will use heavy tackle and not the fly angling material required for success. He will leave believing that they don't exist, in spite of the fact that several of his crew have disappeared. Mauled bass will be found, but the culprit will be unknown. Gar will be suspected, until mauled gar are found. Finally, when fully grown muskies are found mutilated the Loch Ness crowd will head to Kansas. They probably won't do any better in the colonies and the beer won't be as good. They might encounter boiled okra and head screaming back to safer fields.

Regards,
    Ed

+ Reply to Thread