+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Line to backing knot

Default Line to backing knot

I just got a fly line with a loop to loop connection to the backing - never had one before. What is recommened for tying the loop on the backing? Thanks...
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

Aha, the wonders of google (should have gone there first!). Triple surgeon's knot for the loop.
    There have never in history been so many opportunities to do so many things that aren't worth doing. - William Gaddis

You could put a Surgeon's loop in the backing; make it pretty big so you can pass the fly line (still on the spool) through. You could also use an Albright Knot (coated with Knotsense), my favorite. Hope the loop in the line's not too big; not likely, but you could hook a burner and lose a guide or tiptop.

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by ScottP; 03-29-2014 at 03:54 PM.

I'd actually be worried about that knot catching in the guides on the way out. I'd cut it off and go with a needle knot, same as I'd use on a line without a rear loop.

I have used a figure-8 loop without any problems. Actually I've always thought that an Albright, tied on a line without a loop, would be more likely to hang up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayatwork View Post
    Actually I've always thought that an Albright, tied on a line without a loop, would be more likely to hang up.
    I coat mine with Knotsense; slick as whale snot.

Regards,
    Scott

Never had a fly line with a loop for the backing ... have had fly lines with the loop for the leader connection and in that case I went with a loop to loop connection, using a plain over hand loop knot for the leader - larger leader material like 25# mono and above, use a perfection loop. But as for a loop for the backing, I suppose that would work as well, but that would be a big hassle for making a loop to loop - would you not have to pull the entire length of either the fly line or the backing through the loop ...?

As for attaching the fly line to the backing, in that the line dia. is considerable between the fly line and that of the backing (assuming there's no loop involved), I use a sheet bend knot. Small, strong knot, and the odds of that knot ever getting to the exposed are enormous (at least for the fish I catch!) -

http://www.netknots.com/rope_knots/sheet-bend/

Blog Entries

I have been using huge loops for years and passing the line through the loop twice. Never had an issue with "burners" and cannot imagine worrying about such a thing. When a big fish is running hard the loop is exactly like a straight piece of line.

I weld loops in any lines I use for the attachment...

Quote Originally Posted by DaleW View Post
    But as for a loop for the backing, I suppose that would work as well, but that would be a big hassle for making a loop to loop - would you not have to pull the entire length of either the fly line or the backing through the loop ...?
    You make the loop large enough to pass the coiled line through all at once.

I have never given any thought to the backing knot. Even when fishing in Alaska I have never had a fish get me into the backing.
    Fishing salt water might be different. A 20 lb Silver is the biggest fish I have had on line in Alaska with a 7 weight wt. rod. A lighter weight rod in Alaska might make me worry about the knot.

+ Reply to Thread