+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1 WT Rods

Default 1 WT Rods

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying a 1wt set up for fishing small water. I had the opportunity to fish some small headwater streams with heavy overgrown banks. I was fishing my 3wt with a double taper line and just had a tough time. My two friends were both using light weight set ups. One of them had a Sage SLT 1 wt and the other a Sage SP 0 wt, both rods were 8 ft long. They were having a much easier time and both caught more fish then I did. I felt I was spooking the fish as soon as the line landed on the water when I wasn't pulling it out of the trees. I also tried both rods and they were so easy to cast.

I looked in a few of my catalogs and didn't see very many options other then Sage. I know I would be happy with a Sage but $ 500.00 for a rod is a bit more then I would like to spend. Please provide me with some feedback on the lighter weight rods as well as some possible options to purchase.

Thanks

Steve.

smgfish,
    Im not too sure as to how picky you are about performance..but a cheap rod building kit from hook and hackle might be a good idea for experimenting? Also, the rod would have a more "personalized" touch to it. I built my first rod this winter and would definately recomend it just for the sheer excitement of hooking up on a fish with your rod and your fly. Good luck
    -David

------------------

Cabela's sells a Clear Creek 7' 1 wt for $100. Several on this board own um.

Dan Craft has 1 wt rods. I love my Sage SLT. It is as smooth as butter and honey on warm toast. I will never give it up. THey can be found for much less than $500.00 used. However, it is hard to beat the price for that Clear Creek.

------------------
    "Give me ambiguity or give me something else"

A friend just started fishing his new Cabellas 7ft 1 wgt yesterday. The streams around here are high so he went to a pond for small bass and panfish...but a Large Mouth Bass of over 5 lbs took his mudler. He was very worried about the rod breaking! He said that he was shaking like a bird trying to pass peach pits. Says he loves that rod and will use it a lot this summer.

Ol' Bill

Wouldn't want to try to dissuade anyone from buying a new rod (one of life's great pleasures), and I don't know what 3wt setup you have now, but you might consider trying it out with a lighter line, say a 2wt, or a light, long-taper 3wt designed for delicacy, like the SA Trout or XPS, Rio Selective Trout, Cortland 444 Sylk, Wulff Triangle Taper, or that new Micro DT by Monic (haven't tried that one, but heard it's got an extremely soft delivery). Many 3wt rods will handle a lighter line quite well, and it's the line hitting the water, not the rod. Also, some variation in leader formulation might help. Just a thought. On the other hand, the Sage TXL's (current iteration of their light line rods) are awfully sweet and downright pretty, to boot.

[This message has been edited by cross creek (edited 07 June 2006).]

Now I been around the corner and back again a few times and it sounds to me like you are looking for an excuse to buy a new rod. Just buy it for Pete sake.

I have fished many many streams that were tight with a 3 wgt and never felt I needed to go lighter and never had a problem with it. And yes they had a lot of timber and brush. Longer leaders do wonders for a small stream. Just do not buy to long of a rod. 7 1/2 foot is about right Just buy the new rod. LOL Ron

I for one have owned several brands of three weights,t&t,loomis,scott,sage and as of now i do not own a three weight anymore.The purpose in buying these rods was to fish the waters you have mentioned,but upon hooking up with a few too many oversized fish on these streams and not having the backbone to hold them,i tired of losing fish to a few headshakes.I now use a T&T lps with a doulbe taper line and longer leader on a four weight and probably will not look back.
    I agree try a smaller line weight on the rod first unless the rod is too long for your needs and you hate roll casting,the best thing for small stream fishing!

I've got a 1 wt. Scott G Series that is very nice. I've landed some pretty good sized fish on it without any problems. I don't use it very often because of the tiny flies that you need to use (I like larger, heavier patterns) and primarily because the slightest breeze and that lines not going anywhere. To me, they seem like more of a niche buy.
    You should have no problem using a 3wt., unless the length is too much. If you do want one and don't want to spend a ton of cash, look at the Orvis Superfines or the St. Croix's-They make a 7.5' 2 wt.

RonMT you got me pegged I am always looking for a reason to buy a new rod. However I was having issues with my 3wt. I guess I should elaborate. My 3wt is an 8ft 6 inch Sage XP cannon. It works well in most situations where I use it. I needed to use about a 4 ft leader at the most over the weekend; and even at that I felt like Robin Hood with all the Bow and Arrow casting I was doing. A shorter softer 3wt probably would have done the trick.

I am going to borrow my friends Sage SLT and give it a try for a few days and see if it's something I really want. I am going to be buying my wife a TFO 3wt for a trip we are taking out West. The rod I am looking at is a lot softer then my XP.

Thanks

Steve.

+ Reply to Thread