Hook: Grip 14723BL #14
    Thread: Benecchi 12/0, black
    Tail: Lemon woodduck barbs
    Abdomen: Krystal Flash, copper
    Wing: Z-lon, silver - tied sparse and short
    Thorax: Squirrel - in split thread

Cheers,
    Hans W
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

AlanB Guest

Hi Hans, you've not been around for a while, you've not lost your touch.

In the recipe you specify Z-lon. I've never really looked into the differences between different, what I will for want of a generic term call, poly yarns. Your use of it here looks to my eye to represent the sparkle from a wing, and for that it looks perfect. Do you have any guidance for which yarns you would use in which situation?

I don't use a lot of these yarns but a quick look in my stock shows I have only two kinds. Lurflash's Antron Body Wool, and Floating Polypropylene from Lathkill. Maybe I should be looking into this more.

Cheers,
    A.

Alan, either of the two options you mention will work. That said, both poly and antron tend to be a little more opaque, where the Z-lon has just the right amount of translucence and crinkle I am looking for.

Cheers,
    Hans W

Beautiful as usual. Is that some kind of soft hackle? You certainly set high standards. Keep the great patterns coming. Especially the videos. Hint hint nudge nudge.
    Peter

Quote Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
    Is that some kind of soft hackle?
    Hi Peter,

It could be called a wingless wet - if not for the wing

Cheers,
    Hans W

Hi again. I meant is that a soft hackle of some kind wrapped on the fly? I don't think it's all squirrel although it could be longer guard hairs. Anyway keep up the great work.
    Thanks again Hans. It's an education

Peter

Quote Originally Posted by seafoam View Post
    Hi again. I meant is that a soft hackle of some kind wrapped on the fly? I don't think it's all squirrel although it could be longer guard hairs. Anyway keep up the great work.
    Thanks again Hans. It's an education
    Peter, I did understand first time - yes, it could be considered a softhackle of sorts, and can certainly be fished as one. All squirrel for the thorax and hair hackle - it is the effect one achieves with split thread technique.

Cheers,
    Hans W

Thanks again Hans. Like I said education.
    Peter

Blog Entries

I use a lot of copper tinsel and found Sulky brand threads available in fabric stores is essentially narrow Flashabou on a spool. I use it for bodies, ribs, and Flash as is. It can also be furled to create a very stable "twist" style rib which can be either a single color or a collection of the many colors available from Sulky.

Copper body softhackles are a serious favorite of mine for many conditions... A copper ptarmigan being an especial favorite...
    art

+ Reply to Thread