+ Reply to Thread

Thread: smokey mountain fishing

Default smokey mountain fishing

are there any users of this area that are local or have been there most recently that can help this first timer to know what to expect. i'll be going around the third week of june. streams to visit places to eat at sites to see. thxs any help would greatly be appreciated.

Welcome aboard bug,,, hope these guys help ya out.

Check out the recent issue of Eastern Fly Fishering. It contains an article about fishing the Smokey Mountain National Park.

caddisbug check my web page there are links there that will help you. There is also a fishing report on the little river site I have a link to it on my web page. If I can be of further help please let me know. Here is a link to the hotels and motels in the Townsend area.
    [url=http://travel.yahoo.com/p-hotel-479465-townsend_hotels-i;_ylc=X3oDMTE3N2phcW1vBF9TAzI3NjY2NzkEX3MDOTY5NTU zMjUEc2VjA3NyBHNsawN0aXRsZQ--:dc25e]http://travel.yahoo.com/p-hotel-479465-townsend_hotels-i;_ylc=X3oDMTE3N2phcW1vBF9TAzI3NjY2NzkEX3MDOTY5NTU zMjUEc2VjA3NyBHNsawN0aXRsZQ--[/url:dc25e]

Here is the link to my web page.
    [url=http://home.comcast.net/~bassman540/johnsfliesandswaps.html:dc25e]http://home.comcast.net/~bassman540/johnsfliesandswaps.html[/url:dc25e]

------------------
    I wish you all everlasting flies and tight lines.
    I wish you all everlasting flies and tight lines.

Check out Littleriveroutfitters.com. The folks at LRO are one "awesome" flyshop extremely helpful. They will provide lots of suggestions. EVERY stream in the park is loaded with fish.
    Terrestrials- ants, beetles and a Yellow Stone fly, (Yellow sally) coming off in evenings, are main go to flies.
    Plan on walking in a little off the roads, as the main river on Tenn side will be full of tubers till evening. There are hundreds of miles of other possibilities though. Browns and Bows lower down, brookies (C&R)up higher. BE SURE TO WEAR FELTS ON YOUR SHOES- THE ROCK ARE EXTREMELY SLIPPERY IN PLACES. Most of us wet wade this time of year. You will need a Tenn or NC license- Don't need a trout stamp if fishing only in the park. A NC or Tenn license is valid in either side of park. NC is cheaper.
    Shoot me an email if you want more info.
    Randy Sale

I am not a local, but I fished there two weeks ago. I fished the Tuckaseege and the Nantahala and caught fish on both. There were lots of fishermen, but not too many. Primarily caught rainbow and brown, with a few brook. The area is beautiful and exciting and I hope to go back at some point. I fished the Nantahala above the NOC and the Tuckaseege near Sylva. We actually had more luck with drys than nymphs, but caught fish on both.

You can also try looking here: [url=http://www.southeastflyfishingforum.com/forum/:13087]http://www.southeastflyfishingforum.com/forum/[/url:13087]
    there are a lot of folks that participate on this board that are also on FAOL.

------------------
    Fish more, work less!

For a great local guide, I strongly recommend Willy Cope at Smoky on the Fly (www.smokyonthefly.com). My wife and I went out with him a year ago and had a great time. Great fella.

If you like peace and quiet, then for God's sake headquarter at Townsend. Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge are an absolute "zoo" this time of year. We had a recent Cane Gathering up in the Park, and I had to take some of the guys thru Gatlinburg to get to a specific stream. The comment from all was; "Any way back where we don't have to go thru this mess???"

Good Spots to stay in Townsend: Highland Manor Inn/Dock's/TalleyHo Inn are just 3. Restaurants would be: Carriage House (at TallyHo/Timbers/Miss Lily's (especially Sunday brunch!)/BBQ place on the river...

Save yourself a lot of grief and check with the folks at Little River Outfitters. They are very current on what's happening and where the fish are biting. A good standard plan for fishing is to start and finish at Metcalf "Bottoms" and work your way up to Elkmont. Metcalf "Bottoms" is especially good in the evenings for the big "hatch". Be sure to have someone explain the "back way" into Metcalf because you do NOT want to use the Little River Road from Metcalf to Townsend... unless you have the patience of Job.

If you are going to fish for more than 3 days then buy a NC annual out of state license (via the internet). You do not need a trout stamp to fish in the park, and you do NOT need a TN license to fish the TN side of the National Park.

Ralph

+ Reply to Thread