+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Renzetti Ttraveler

Question Renzetti Ttraveler

Could someone give me the precise dimensions of a replacement o-ring for the jaws.
    I'd feel moer comfortable going to a hardware store if I knew the I.D., O.D. or section.
    Thanks.

some guy was asking that question a while back..

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/s...zetti-Traveler

and yes...I am a dedicated smartass
    ‎"Trust, but verify" - Russian Proverb, as used by Ronald Reagan

I went to Sally's salon supplies and bought tiny rubber bands that i wrap around twice because i couldn't get the O ring over the jaws.
    "So many people are out there doing things they call environmentalism, but only because it's politically correct or has a lot of cache."

Quote Originally Posted by CoachBob View Post
    I went to Sally's salon supplies and bought tiny rubber bands that i wrap around twice because i couldn't get the O ring over the jaws.
    Bob,

On my Traveler, the O-rings (3/8" I.D.) go on the back side; I just un-screw the thumbwheel and slide it on. Is your jaw configured differently?

Regards,
    Scott
    Last edited by ScottP; 03-05-2014 at 03:42 PM.

Why not just take the vise head with you to the hardware store and try several sizes till one fits. Then buy several for future use.

Yeah, my local Ace hardware has a plastic tray bin loaded with a gazillion different sized O rings ....

Long ago I purchased this from Harbor Freight...believe it was on at least a 50% off sale....now I never want for the right size o ring.

http://www.harborfreight.com/382-pie...l#.Uxddy4Xh2M8

BTW I stack them on the shaft of my vise ala the Rite bobbin idea...to hold material etc.
    http://ritebobbin.com/shop/half-hitch

Hi Scott, in looking at the pic of your renzetti, I notice that the O ring is positioned to the rear od the vise head. When I purchased both of my renzettis, the O ring was placed between the first small screw knob and the attachment point for the vise arm. I don't know if that makes any difference or not in holding the hooks or wear and tear on the O ring but I replace my o rings from the front (pointed) head of the jaws. Have I been tying flies bass ackwards all these years?? The flies look OK!
    Gerri

Addendum to my previous post: The jaws on my renzetti have a small spring in the anterior portion andI always thought that the ring held the jaws snug enough so the spring would not pop out.

One could say that 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it' but I've never seen a Traveler with the o-ring in front on the vise arm. It is always in back (check google images), as in the picture above, whether the cam or the knob version. The set screw in the front holds the spring in front in place, and the o ring adds the necessary tension to make adjustments easy. No reason why you could not change the position to see if it alters the performance at all, but if it works for you why bother...

+ Reply to Thread