+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Amy's new combo that she bought at a yard sale. You aren't g

nighthawk Guest

Default Amy's new combo that she bought at a yard sale. You aren't g

Yesterday, Amy, went to a yard sale and she was looking for fishing gear for me. She called me at work to ask if I wanted to buy this spinning combo that she saw for 10 bucks. I told her no because I have spinning rods coming out of my ears. I reminded her that I was looking for some boo or graphite fly rod in the 6 to 8 foot range because my current graphite is 9 foot and my boo isn?t ready for the stream yet. She told me that the folks having the sale were going to have a fly fishing outfit there tomorrow ( being Friday).
    This morning I called her from work and she went back to the sale. Sure enough there was the fly fishing rod and reel combo. This is what she found:
    White River SCIV 8?6? 5wt 33 million modulus Graphite Rod medium-fast action rod, White River machined aluminum stock reel loaded with backing, Hobb?s Creek WF-5-F orange line, leader and tippet. Purchased from Bass Pro last year and only used a few times. All in like new condition. They didn?t even take the plastic coating off of the grips.
    For me to buy this combo new today it would cost $169.98 plus tax. She paid, get this, $25.00! When she asked if she should buy it I said YES!! Of course I had to recover from shock before I could respond. Then I did something that really tickled her. She doesn?t have her own rig so I gave it back to her. Now I know I will most likely do most of the fishing with it but it is hers.
    When she asked me if I think she could do well with this rod I was both dumbfounded and pleased. I reminded her that she only took 15 minutes to lay out real nice 20 foot casts with my 9? Pioneer series rod strung with DT-5-F line, leader and tippet. She had never picked up a fly rod in her life previous to that afternoon. What a great day!

------------------
    Eric "nighthawk"

American veteran and proud of it!

Blog Entries

Amy - Will you marry me?
    "Flyfishing is not a religion. You can make up your own rules as you go.".. Jim Hatch.. 2/27/'06

[G]

I probably shouldn't say anything, but a few years ago Sage was a bit lax in accounting for the rods which were out to "home" rod wrappers. Quite often you could find a brand new, never cast, high-end Sage rod at yard sales for next to nothing. No more!

But still, yard sales can be just as rewarding if you know what you are looking for and at....do your homework.

Great buy for Amy

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Fantastic!! Is that the rod Amy will be bringing to Michigan?

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Eric,
    That's fantastic! Unfortunately for me, Ohio is not NEAR the flyfishing State that Pa, Mi, & some others are, so flyfishing gear just doesn't show up at yard sales as most fishing fanatics here grew up with spinning & baitcasting gear. I AM, however, tickled that Amy found that...what a super buy!

Betty,
    Keep saying your prayers that Eric can get the time off for our Michigan Fish-In. They cancelled ALL vacation for the summer. Hopefully, things will change soon & he can join us.
    Mike

------------------
    You can call me Mike & you can call me Mikey..Just remember that this site's about sharing!
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

nighthawk Guest

Sorry guys but Amy is a keeper. I chased her until she caught me and she won't let me go. No catch and release here!

I like the Sage story. Wow, could you imagine finding a deal like that!

We got some official news today at work and it isn't good for summer and autumn leave. The military is broke and should get their supplemental funding in July-August. Manadatory overtime and all leave canceled. Better put us down as a no for the fish-in. I am very upset about it but the men and women serving our nation will need my help shipping their supplies to them. Well, I can roll the leave over to next year and there is always the off chance that a last minute change could happen. Such things are known to happen with the military.

------------------
    Eric "nighthawk"

American veteran and proud of it!

+ Reply to Thread