+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: furled leaders .......

I have a thread leader I have used so often tht it frayed in a several places. I mean really major frays. So I tied a loop above the frays and removed the damaged section. What I have is a leader about three feet in length and you know what? It turns over and fishes just fine. Love the furled leaders. I use a couple monofilament furled leaders but when I lift them they carry a lot of water. I expect it is my style that does this, but I prefer threaded leaders anyway.

Paul

I use Mercerized Cotton Thread for my "furled leaders", when I have finished building my furled leader, I dip the "furled leader" in some slightly warmed can of clear enamal, and hang the lead up on a peg and let the excees drip down the lenght on the furled leader. I then wet a cloth with some of the clear enaml, and run the wet rag down the full lenth of the furled leader, to get rid of any build-up on the finished furled lead. Finally I let the finish furled lead dry, before rolling in up in a small sandwich bag...

I also created the "Big Furled Leader Formual" and I have it on CD. The CD is done in inches, and in millimeters. Three percentage of taper; 60%-55%-50%! These furled leaders segments on a chart graph displays the secret within the process, the taper is "Parabolic"!

I have done two Reader
    's Cast articles on FAOL, "2012 Reader Cast Article" Big Furled Leader Formula. I also have another article on the the difference Slopes (60-55-50) for the Big Tapered Furled Leader, on the CD.

Anyone interested in a free CD, contact me at parnelli@comcast.net or by phone (651) 777 -4650; I will have "Big Furled Leader CD" in the next out-going mail...
    "Everyone you meet in life, give you happiness! Some by their arrival, others by their departure!" ~Parnelli

foambug65,

I get the feeling, after reading all the replies to your qestion, that you may feel no one really answered your question and that is because the answer is more of a personal choice that fits your style of fishing. Some treat/wax their furled leaders and some use them as they are and a furled leader will function great either way, so, the choice is yours. Neither way is right or wrong, so, just use them your way and enjoy.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

+ Reply to Thread