+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Anyone have experience with the Yong Special?

I have tried them in our Oklahoma tail waters without success, But I probably did not tie them small enough. I tied them on 2x short size 18 hooks. WE have great success with white miracle nymphs in that size both in Arkansas and Oklahoma even when the midges hatching are brown and much much smaller. We also have lots of cream midges that hatch on our tailwaters

While that looks like copper wire in the photo, this one was tied correctly, with twisted Coats and Clark summer brown thread (#52 if memory serves). Nice rendition of a very useful midge imitation.

I have been using a variation of that pattern, which was tied by Jude Duran, using Guebrod rod wrapping thread and different type of Flashabou over black thread...they work very well in Eastern Sierra tail waters...

Here are two other products I have been playing with. for Midge abdomens, in the same vein:

http://planettrout.files.wordpress.c...D500%26h%3D332

https://www.intheriffle.com/store/im...-fly-tying.jpg

Try some of this, over black thread. for flash...

http://www.bearlodgeangler.com/flash...ashabou-1/100/
    Last edited by planettrout; 02-09-2014 at 02:47 PM.
    Daughter to Father, "How many arms do you have, how many fly rods do you need?"
    http://planettrout.wordpress.com/

Just put a tail on a midge and you have a baetis?

I fished the San Juan and have found the Yong Special to be the most consistent midge imitation for those picky fish. I?ve tied them with tan and olive Gudebrod Size A Rod Wrapping Thread as well as the summer brown C&C. I have also used UTC 210 Denier (#22 and #24 sizes), UTC 140 Denier (#26 sizes) and Madeira thread for my Yong Specials. I?ve had good results with all of these in black, grey and olive. Size is very important.

What is equally important with fishing the Yong Special is the rig. Andy Kim?s rigging:
    - 7 1/2? leader tapered to 5X.
    - Attach a 12? 6X tippet to the 5X and attach the first fly to the end of the 6X.
    - Then attach another 12? 6X tippet to the eye of the first fly and attach a second fly to the
    end of the 2nd 6X tippet.
    - Place the weight (#8 or #6 Split Shot) at the junction of the 5X and 6X.
    - Use a yarn indicator (Macrame) and attach it to the leader via a Slip Knot
    (don't forget to apply floatant to the yarn).
    - Set the indicator, weight to indicator, 1.5 times the depth of where the fish are.
    Example: if the target fish is in 2? deep water then set the weight to the indicator at 3?.

Hope this helps.

Vinny

Thank you, Curtis! That's a nifty SBS!
    How 'bout that?? A fly I can tye!!!!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

I started tying these over a dozen years ago to fish on the San Juan, then found they worked just as well on my home tailwater, the Guadalupe River in Texas. In fact, I had a guide buddy of mine who swore by them in Summer Brown or Cream for picky Guad trout. I now have a whole rack of Coats and Clark thread in different shades to tie the Yong Special and the midges originated by Don Holbrook and Ed Koch in their book, Midge Magic. Nice tie and vid, BTW.

+ Reply to Thread