+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Animal Encounters

From my first trip fishing in Wyoming Behind the Pinedale airportmine 9-9-13 004.jpg
    "Don't mess with the Mule, just load the wagon"
    David L
    Roseburg Or.

I'm sort of surprised at how many replies reference animal encounters only in national parks. Thinking back through the years about the only noteworthy animal I have NOT encountered while fishing is an Elk.
    To the simpleton, proof does not matter once emotion takes hold of an issue.

Walking the trail at Slough Creek in Yellowstone Pk. I had a buffalo lying across the trail. I decided to fish else where.

Some really great stories here.... Great stuff to read while waiting for the Polar Vortex to recede... I was hoping to hear of a Sasquatch sighting, but Oh well....
    For a real challenge, try ice fishing with dry flies.

I remember Patrick McManus saying in one of this stories, "There are two kind of cows, slow mean cows and fast mean cows." I have been around cows my whole life, started driving the cows to the barn from the back pasture using a bullwhip (therefore qualifying as a genuine cracker) when I was 8. Mostly a bunch of mixed breed cows and steers and a good Hereford bull, which were usually as gentle as a large kitten.

In the late '80's I was fishing in a small aluminum boat with my brother in law and his son in a pond on their small farm. A young Hereford bull had escaped from a vet's corral and gone looking for girl friends. He came through the barb wire fence and began acting like a young bull in a pasture with a older resident bull. After fighting around the pond they got in the pond, I moved the boat to put deeper water between us so they wouldn't capsize the boat. My nephew was about 9 years old and freaking out. We beached the boat on the opposite side of the pond, it goes without saying the fishing was pretty much over at that point in time. I was amazed the young bull, who got the better of the fight, actually tried to push his opponents head under the water. I don't think the episode caused my nephew any emotional harm, he still hunts and fishes every chance he gets.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I've had numerous encounters with wildlife while fishing, but the most memorable was while fishing the North Platte near Saratoga. My buddies and I were taking a lunch break on the bank when a VERY loud "Kerrrr-ahhhhh" rang out. Several seconds later a magnificent bald eagle soared out over the cliff behind us, followed shortly by the beautiful golden eagle that was chasing the baldy out of his territory. Needless to say, this was followed by a bunch of "Oh My God"s and "Wow"s.
    Work is something for people that don't fish.

Got chased off a golf cart by the world"s largest fox squirrel. We took an 8 and moved on...

^^^

Like the rabbit in The Holy Grail....Run Away!!!

Got accompanied by a young bear while taking the dog for a walk - faster I walked, faster he walked, till I jumped down off the road, then looked back and he had gone off the other side. Sure was glad I didn't have to hit him with my dog leash.

I was in Singapore last year, fishing at a small reservoir. I had some fruit in my bag, and left it setting on a park bench. Heard some commotion behind me. There were four monkeys raiding my goodies. They took off with their loot before I could get the camera out.

Lower Peirce Reservoir

A couple of the signs there:

+ Reply to Thread