+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dry Fly Equipment.......

Default Dry Fly Equipment.......

Is it a general rule of thumb that you lighten up on the size of your equipment for dries?????

I have never realy tried to fish dries and am interested in doin so.
    I have a 5wt 9' rod and mastery GPX line. Is this good for dries or should I try something else??

Thanks again.

Rich

NoLuck;
    Lefty Kreh has a great book on matching leader's and tippets to the size of the fly to get them to present properly. It's a little scarey to combine a 7X tippet with a small dry when the fish may be big!! But that's fly fishing!!
    I'll look through my collection and see if I can find the title.

------------------
    Don't forget the Michigan Fish-In August 14th to the 20th. The Holy Water's of the Au Sable await you!!

Cactus

Have you read any of FAOL yet? Some information for beginners. [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/:0760d]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/[/url:0760d]
    Hope this helps.

My short answer is yes and no. Yes its good for dry flies, no need to try something else. Match the leader/tippet to the fly and fishing conditions. Some say take the fly size and divide by 3 for the tippet size. Adjust for rough conditions or weary fish.

Good luck and enjoy.

jed

Gotta agree with Jed; divide the fly by 4 for wet stuff and by 3 for dry's. Mostly. (if ya get the size 16 dry right, let me know!)(or the size 18 wet too!) Of course, there may be exceptions.

Yes J.C. I have read some of the basics and I have learned quite a bit.Thanks.
    But it seems like there is some small details that always get left out to generalize and simplify for the masses.
    I am thinking about taking some fly casting lessons from one of the local fly shops.I am sure he could answer a ton of questions.
    But, thanks for the tips.

Dear Rich,

The rod and line you have will be more than adequate for dry fly fishing.

A 5 weight rod is a great all-purpose trout fishing rod. It wasn't too awful long ago that most people never even owned a fly rod lighter in weight than a 5 weight.

You may find in time that you "want" a lighter fly rod for strictly dry fly fishing, but as someone who has caught trout on trico's and 6X tippet using a 6 weight Loomis GLX I can tell that you do not "have" to get a lighter rod.

Best Wishes,
    Avalon

You're in for a treat, NoLuck. I enjoy most forms of fly fishing, but dries are my favorites. It is very exciting to see the take after a winter of nymphing and it is kind of fun to be flinging a fly only, no weight or indicator.

Only "special equiptment" you'll need is a bottle of floatant.

Have fun with it!

no luck my only advise find out the forms of flies for your area,buy close to that and don't go hog wild on a spending spree.One other thing,get a good floatant to use on your flies and use some of the gel variety
    to help float your leader at the fly!

Another option may be to outfit yourself with a lighter fly line on the same rod. I've never done this but have read about it (possibly in the same book by lefty as jack was speaking of - either "advanced fly fishing techniques" or "presenting the fly"). Apparently this helps out, unless its very windy out. If your having trouble getting another line is much cheaper than a new outfit.

+ Reply to Thread